Heads for a 360

-

MonkeyTrev

Reaction score
I'm building a 360 for my barracuda. I have the 360 cylinder heads that I was planning on using, but I just found a set of 318 fast burn heads that I forgot I had. Which set of heads would you guys prefer? Which heads would give me the most performance? The car is gonna be a street/strip car.

What are the casting numbers? Most would probably say keep the 360 heads if they are in worthy shape. I have 318 heads only my 360 and wish I didn't out of breath at 4500-5000rpm. However, motor runs great and strong enough for the street but not strip. By fast burn I assume your talking the 302's closed chambered. Probably good for a 1/2 point in compression but not so good for breathing on the big end. The 360 heads will have the bigger ports and valves. I am sure the smart folks will chime in soon enough to help you determine your way forward.

What are the casting numbers? Most would probably say keep the 360 heads if they are in worthy shape. I have 318 heads only my 360 and wish I didn't out of breath at 4500-5000rpm. However, motor runs great and strong enough for the street but not strip. By fast burn I assume your talking the 302's closed chambered. Probably good for a 1/2 point in compression but not so good for breathing on the big end. The 360 heads will have the bigger ports and valves. I am sure the smart folks will chime in soon enough to help you determine your way forward.

^^^^This is pretty much the long and short of it. Avoid 318 heads on anything other than a ---Oh wait just avoid them. 360 heads, whether they are '596, '915, '587 etc...... are actually still too small for real strip performance but are far more suitable than any LA 318 casting. A well built average 360 with 360 type heads and hyd cam will peak @ roughly 5800rpm. If you want more a solid cam will get you about 200 rpm, but the real power and performance will come from a larger C.ross S.ection A.rea cylinder head. Long story longer--avoid 318 heads. J.Rob

Yea! I was about to write, purchase the 318 heads for door stops or wheel choks. There excellent for that and fishing weights, boat anchors, Bobbie traps, dropping them on your daughters boyfreinds foot, the competition's head, etc....

The OE as cast 360 head is good for a mild cam at best. Bowl ported, there still a bit shy on flow. Fully ported, you may actually get some *decent power* returns with a reasonable sized cam.

*What is your idea of Street strip power?*

I don't want to short sell the OE head. It may do what you need it to do. It can be made to perform.

The best heads to look at these days would be iron EQ or aluminum Edelbrocks. And IMO, they could use a little port work as well.

The biggest problem with the OE heads is not that they don't port out decent, but the cost vs return as compared to an aftermarket head.

The Edelbrock heads are OK for street performance. At there as cast size, they would do well for your described goal when ported to 195/205 cc area.

-
Back