Heads for magnum

-

dusterboi89

Reaction score
I’m new to this so bear with me

I have a 99 magnum that is gonna be stroked to a 408 but can’t seem to find aftermarket heads. Is it possible to use LA aluminum heads if so what needs done thanks

Edelbrock makes a direct bolt on head, and Trick Flow makes a head that bolts on, you just need to use the correct rocker arms and shafts to allow oiling through the push rods. There use to be some good cast iron heads, but they are not longer available.

Last edited:
Edelbrock makes a direct bolt on head, and Trick Flow makes a head the bolts on, you just need to use the correct rocker arms and shafts to allow oiling through the push rods. There use to some good cast iron heads, but they are not longer available.

any chance you Know the part number for heads

That’s the route I’m going though the head will be under utilized. I’m sure I’ll catch a ribbing first it as well as a waste of money. But the port flow vs getting an Edelbrock and then porting it is money in the bank.

That’s the route I’m going though the head will be under utilized. I’m sure I’ll catch a ribbing first it as well as a waste of money. But the port flow vs getting an Edelbrock and then porting it is money in the bank.

I thought I remember seeing somewhere that you could run a LA style head on a magnum you just had to do oiling mods But can’t find it

I thought I remember seeing somewhere that you could run a LA style head on a magnum you just had to do oiling mods But can’t find it

Ddill the back of the heads to accept an split oil feed line from where the oil pressure send is located to intersect where you drill downwards from the rear rocker shaft pedestal. The attaching bolt for the rocker arm shaft is then drilled to allow oil up to the shaft. Drill the bolt high enough to allow a 90* drilled path to inside the rocker shaft.

Oil mod NOT done by me.
7D80A5E5-0CC6-461A-919A-936A2A33CB63.jpeg
22AE35DD-32E8-47B1-B376-4549F9C80AC1.jpeg
CB1B5049-4D8F-4A7F-97EF-819C38F8200B.jpeg

That is even more relevant on the Magnum Edelbrocks, for less then $200 more the Trick Flows give you a CNC ported, larger intake ports, and of course, better flowing heads. Also, by using Comps (I think the Magnum Series) or PRW stainless rocker arms and shafts, you can oil through the push rod, and avoid the cost of the expensive Harland Sharps. The other advantage is not having to drill the back of your heads for oiling.

do you know of any one that uses these heads I feel like a 190cc head is gonna be under powered

Unfortunately, the SBM doesn’t enjoy the vast array of different sized user friendly easy bolt on head options that you get with a SBC or SBF.

Of what’s “currently” readily available...... for something that’s an easy bolt on that doesn’t require a bunch of other associated hardware...... The TF is about the end of the line.
After that you’re looking at either Victor heads, Indy heads, or W series heads(which are no longer made).

Your power/ET goals and budget will likely dictate which road to take.

@DrEamer -
“Pro Magnum” rockers by Competition Cams.
These will eliminate the need to drill the head as shown above.
At $562, it’s a good price.
COMP Cams Pro Magnum Shaft Mount Roller Rocker Arms 1622-16

I also did a quick search on the Edelbrock & Trick Flow heads. With the trick flows, this is also stated for the rockers & magnum heads:

“Magnum engines must use Harland Sharp S72025K (1.5 ratio) or S72026K (1.6 ratio) shaft mount roller rocker arms for proper oiling.”

(IDK anything about that and what can actually be used or not.)

The 1.5 ratio comin in at $900, Harland Sharp Heavy-Duty Roller Rockers S72025K
And the 1.6 ratio coming in at $933
Harland Sharp Heavy-Duty Roller Rockers S72026K
Now the TF head choice is in the springs and retainers used, so the price varies from the current $1019 to $1129. Hyd. spring to solid roller spring.

The Magnum heads also have 2 flavors of springs, the Hyd. spring currently @$919 and the Hyd. roller spring @$949.
Edelbrock Performer RPM Chrysler Magnum Cylinder Heads 61775

There is also a note saying....

“.... Accepts widely available small-block Chevy adjustable rockers 1.6 ratio.....”

Once you figure out what Chevy roller rockers your going to use, break out the calculator and start in with the math calcs!

@DrEamer -

I also did a quick search on the Edelbrock & Trick Flow heads. With the trick flows, this is also stated for the rockers & magnum heads:

“Magnum engines must use Harland Sharp S72025K (1.5 ratio) or S72026K (1.6 ratio) shaft mount roller rocker arms for proper oiling.”

(IDK anything about that and what can actually be used or not.)

When it comes to using the Trick Flows on a Magnum engine, the rocker arms that I mentioned will provide proper oiling. I confirmed this with Mike at B3 Racing, and I believe Brian at IMM also stated it. Just for further reference, a set of PRW 1.6 shaft rockers with Mikes correction kit is $590. The only reason I know is I just bought them, and a set of TF heads from him yesterday. A setup of PRWs without Mike's kit can be had for around $450. Now, like you said, time to break out a calculator!!!

When it comes to using the Trick Flows on a Magnum engine, the rocker arms that I mentioned will provide proper oiling. I confirmed this with Mike at B3 Racing, and I believe Brian at IMM also stated it. Just for further reference, a set of PRW 1.6 shaft rockers with Mikes correction kit is $590. The only reason I know is I just bought them, and a set of TF heads from him yesterday. A setup of PRWs without Mike's kit can be had for around $450. Now, like you said, time to break out a calculator!!!
Nice mention. This means a good cost savings over the shopping list I provided above. This is a good thing. I very little bit helps.

Now your oiling through the pushrods correct?

Cost of a pair of TF heads plus $590 for the rocker arms and correction kit. Sounds like a home run to me.

Nice mention. This means a good cost savings over the shopping list I provided above. This is a good thing. I very little bit helps.

Now your oiling through the pushrods correct?

Cost of a pair of TF heads plus $590 for the rocker arms and correction kit. Sounds like a home run to me.

Correct, oiling through the push rods. Also, if you buy the TF heads through Mike, he throws in a set of ARP head bolts, and free shipping!

Last edited:
sorry rumble you are a big help to many

OP the TF can be used out of the box
with the Edelbrocks they have to be gone through by a good head guy
I used to od hone the valves and refit the guides then do a nice CONCENTRIC pro valve job
Best is to get the E heads or the Speedmasters BARE and have one of the posters on this board load with higher quality parts
that said by the time you build the Edelbrock or Speedmasters you could have the better flowing TF's

@Wyrmrider Sorry? Help I try. I don’t think you’ll get the speed masters or Edelbrock’s flowing better than the TF’s. If you can port one, you can port the other. The only way it becomes cost effective is if yourself do the work. Not everyone an so head work to correct the head much less port it effectively.

@Wyrmrider Sorry? Help I try. I don’t think you’ll get the speed masters or Edelbrock’s flowing better than the TF’s. If you can port one, you can port the other. The only way it becomes cost effective is if yourself do the work. Not everyone an so head work to correct the head much less port it effectively.

looks like it’s gonna be trickflows for me
Do they make a good rotating assembly or can I use the LA kits

looks like it’s gonna be trickflows for me
Do they make a good rotating assembly or can I use the LA kits

Trick Flow does not make a rotating assembly for small block Mopars. What are your horsepower, ET goals for the car? Do you want to run pump, or race gas? Also, what kind of budget are you on? Just a few things to consider first, then maybe the group here can point you in the right direction.

Trick Flow does not make a rotating assembly for small block Mopars. What are your horsepower, ET goals for the car? Do you want to run pump, or race gas? Also, what kind of budget are you on? Just a few things to consider first, then maybe the group here can point you in the right direction.

I’d like to make 550-600hp I had a 408sbf built For my dad and it made 615 on Engine dyno with 93/110 fuel mix I believe it was 12:1 compression with Victor jr heads So if I can get close to that it would be great for if not I guess I’ll go 440 for my duster

-
Back