Heads Up On Dehumidifier

-

Daves69

Reaction score
Thought I'd post this issue I've had recently. My basement dehumidifier smoked and quit dehumidifying.
Fan would run but evidently the compressor quit.
So I did some troubleshoot searching and found this recall.....

Gree Recalls 12 Brands of Dehumidifiers Due to Serious Fire and Burn Hazards; More Than $2 Million in Property Damage Reported

They made a lot of the "brand names" so you just may want to check yours.
Wouldn't you know it though, mine is not in their fire hazard recall list. Date code on it is later and they will do nothing. So I got two years out of this Shyneese garbage that I purchased at Menards. My old Sears lasted 23 years.
I opened it up and sure enough this thing got hot. Fortunate it didn't burn down the house!

DeHumid.gif
DeHumid1.gif
DeHumid2.gif

Disturbing, isn't it? I was wondering what the CHINESE use in their own homes. Don't they get tired of the crap they make?

Looks repairable, have an electrician clean those terminals off and then SOLDER the wires to the compressor terminals.

No way in hell. I believe there were some mechanical "clamp on" terminals for compressors. I haven't seen or thought about them in a long time.

Terminal Leads

Article_1365692185496_en_normal
Those look like cheap push on terminals,
one hot, one common, one phase shift cap.
A soldered joint will not oxidize and go into thermal runaway like the originals.
An electrician will need to examine the compressor terminals to see what's possible.

Look I used to do this work and I'm telling you that soldering these is not the "answer."

I have also restored many a chiller-AC-compressor to operation in my days in the middle of the night to keep a factory in production, when no parts were available at 1 AM.
The answer is all new, of course, but I have always had to be the master of the disaster,
I do like the looks of the clamp-on connectors.
Let's agree that whatever was originally used on this compressor was not designed for the long haul, but to sell new dehumidifiers every 5 years.

in a word, Haier ( if that is spelled right ). I've seen very old steel bodied Sears and Kenmore models here and there that have nearly rusted away externally yet still run fine. Those are probably not energystar compliant. That may be the only goal a Chinese mfgr shoots for. We know quality is never their goal.
Back when so many K-Mart stores were closing, our local store had 2 new Kenmore dehumidifiers on the floor marked down to 60% off. After reading online reviews, at the store is where they stayed.
I didn't actually need one anyway. Still don't. If my Haier dies today, I got my moneys worth from it. I'll buy another Haier.

-
Back