HEADS UP ON PAYPAL FEES CHARGING WRONG

-

dukeboy440

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Just learned this the hardway. They advertise taking 3% for goods/services however, their system is in fact OVERCHARGING THE RECEIVER! They are taking 3.1875 percent. While not a big difference, I just had a seller get pissy with me about it (over 27 cents more being taken than was supposed to be). Claiming I hadn't sent enough to cover the 3% fee. He calmed down when I finally got him to do the math and read. Anyway, I called Paypal, they are aware of it and working on a fix. But just a heads up for those using Paypal.

I wont buy anything advertised with "+ Paypal fees". its just stupid

You see the foolishness all the time in the for sale section. Its the same dingdong that will gladly lowers his price +30% to get the sale but still wants his +3%. well Ill tell you where you can stick your 3%

Ya, two weeks ago there was a member getting pissed off, all bent out of shape, his in panties in a wad, about sellers advertising wanting a 3%, or 4% Pay Pal fee.

You see the foolishness all the time in the for sale section. Its the same dingdong that will gladly lowers his price +30% to get the sale but still wants his +3%. well Ill tell you where you can stick your 3%
Well good for you then.
Bitching, moaning, crying, complaining, about the fee that Pay Pal charges.
What do you think Master Card, or Visa charges on a transaction anyway?

Sorry but its just the cost of doing business.
If you don't want your money fast and easy, wait WEEKS for a check or Money Order like in old'n times.

I "lose" over $2000 a year to Paypal fees but its well worth it.

I tend to agree, as a seller you need to bake in any fees you feel are appropriate so that it is transparent to the buyer; just easier all the way around. I sold a lot of stuff on eBay some years ago and stopped because I would state that I only charged "the actual shipping cost" based on what the buyer wanted (Fedex, UPS, etc). I got so sick of everyone bitching and complaining about the shipping even though I provided proof of the cost. It was always "you should have something cheaper" "I don't believe it costs that much", etc. The problem was that shipping was estimated based on method an weight. I would refund any overage, however towards the end, I elected to just charge shipping post event but then got burned when someone didn't pay the shipping so I had to eat it.

As a small bysiness owner, all my bank fees,credit card ,deposit charges and so on are a tax write off.i accept it as a cost of doind business.

Only thing i find hard to take is the duty and associated fees on used auto parts.

As a small bysiness owner, all my bank fees,credit card ,deposit charges and so on are a tax write off.i accept it as a cost of doind business.

Only thing i find hard to take is the duty and associated fees on used auto parts.

Yep. I was just saying paypal's fee is actually HIGHER than they advertise.

I would have told him to F off and you'll take your money/business elsewhere.
yep, not like my math was off, he said 3% so I sent an extra 3%. No idea that Paypal took more than 3%. Makes one wonder if they could be sued for that

**** i always assume i'm paying the paypal fee. its cheap insurance for me.. just bought a bracket for my LRE and the guy said $35 shipped. i paid the fee without being asked to and the seller replied with a thank you for covering the fee..that 1.35 sure isn't killing me and cheap protection if for some reason i don't get the part.. and if i'm selling and you don't want to pay paypal fees i just come down less in price. i'm getting that fee one way or another.. :)

If you don't want your money fast and easy, wait WEEKS for a check or Money Order like in old'n times.

as i buyer i don't want to go buy a money order, pay postage and mail the payment. then have to wait for it all to clear before getting my part shipped and wait some more till the part actually gets here.. instant payment and th epart goes out the next day.. win win.. :).

actually theres a guy here that has sold stuff in the past that i wanted. didn't really need it but wanted it.. they wouldn't take paypal so i ended up not buying.. no sweat off my ***. didn't really need the part anyway and it saved me the money..:) i'm sure he sold it to someone that didn't mind spending the time and money to get a money order and waiting a lot longer for the parts..

Last edited:
as i buyer i don't want to go buy a money order, pay postage and mail the payment. then have to wait for it all to clear before getting my part shipped and wait some more till the part actually gets here.. instant payment and th epart goes out the next day.. win win.. :).
plus to get a money order, at least a postal one is gonna add a few bucks anyway.

Ya, two weeks ago there was a member getting pissed off, all bent out of shape, his in panties in a wad, about sellers advertising wanting a 3%, or 4% Pay Pal fee.
Now why would anybody get their panties in a wad over being screwed by a seller on fees.

F@$% Paypal!
Yes I use them, but I hate them, just have no choice sometimes.
They are part of Ebay.
I stopped selling on Ebay because by the time it was over, Ebay and Paypal got 10%!
Newest Paypal thing is where you used to be able to get an instant transfer of your balance to your debit card for 25 cents, they raised it to 1% of the total!

Now why would anybody get their panties in a wad over being screwed by a seller on fees.
Are you the one that got his panties all wet about vendors requesting the Pay Pal fee, in their ads?
What's wrong with being up front in the ad, stating the preference in how one does business in selling items?
Could have easily given the fee at the end of the sale, in giving the buyer the total amount.
What's the difference?

Just learned this the hardway. They advertise taking 3% for goods/services however, their system is in fact OVERCHARGING THE RECEIVER! They are taking 3.1875 percent. While not a big difference, I just had a seller get pissy with me about it (over 27 cents more being taken than was supposed to be). Claiming I hadn't sent enough to cover the 3% fee. He calmed down when I finally got him to do the math and read. Anyway, I called Paypal, they are aware of it and working on a fix. But just a heads up for those using Paypal.
On top of that, the last purchase I made, they didn`t use my balance toward the purchase. Guess the want to use the money as long as they can! They keep on doing screwy stuff and I will quit them ! There are other ways, tho slower.

On top of that, the last purchase I made, they didn`t use my balance toward the purchase. Guess the want to use the money as long as they can! They keep on doing screwy stuff and I will quit them ! There are other ways, tho slower.
they changed it a while back to where your card/bank on file is your default. You have to go in an manually select to use your balance. At least I do

actually theres a guy here that has sold stuff in the past that i wanted. didn't really need it but wanted it.. they wouldn't take paypal so i ended up not buying.. no sweat off my ***. didn't really need the part anyway and it saved me the money..:) i'm sure he sold it to someone that didn't mind spending the time and money to get a money order and waiting a lot longer for the parts..
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^AGREE

Are you the one that got his panties all wet about vendors requesting the Pay Pal fee, in their ads?
What's wrong with being up front in the ad, stating the preference in how one does business in selling items?
Could have easily given the fee at the end of the sale, in giving the buyer the total amount.
What's the difference?
Actually I'm wearing Mopar boxer shorts today.
And personally I don't care what you put in your ads as long as it's not ripping somebody off.
But when you see the fees are incorrect you see there's a handling fee you see there's a fee for driving it to the post office or to be picked up you get the general impression that you're dealing with a crook so if you want to be a crook you be a crook but I damn sure wouldn't spend a dime on you.

And personally I don't care what you put in your ads as long as it's not ripping somebody off.
But when you see the fees are incorrect you see there's a handling fee you see there's a fee for driving it to the post office or to be picked up you get the general impression that you're dealing with a crook so if you want to be a crook you be a crook but I damn sure wouldn't spend a dime on you.
not so my fine feathered friend, I usually sel at a lower cost, or have evejn given stuff away. I charge gas and shipping if giving it away.

I've purchased from @hemi71gtx and never did he charge me for any of those...

-
Back