HEADS UP ON PAYPAL FEES CHARGING WRONG

-
Abody muffler bearing

$100 + 3% PAYPAL = $103.00

Hello. I don't do pay pal, but I can send a Certified MO and have you hold and not ship till the MO clears.
Need that muffler Bearing. From your ad I know the price. The 100.00 is right in line with what I would expect tp pay.

thanks

The 3% Gouger moral (amoral?) dilemma. lol

He really wants to get paid instantly through Paypal and NOT deal with the hassle of that MO.....BUT rather YOU just pay for HIS convenience of taking YOUR money.

Last edited:
Here, Craigslist, eBay, the local swap meet. I look at the final price, Item+tax+fees+shipping=value, I don't see the bits just the total, you could sell it to me for $0.01 with $100 fee and if the $100.01 was a fair price for this widget then I'm good. Do I care if they say plus fee, no.

When I see things I quote one price, final to your door all in. I might make a few dollars more if it ships close to me but at the end of the day the item is gone, someone is happy and I made a few dollars.

Alan

Last edited:
I've been in business for myself for 40 years. ANY cost above the sell is added back into the original cost, taxes, fuel, shipping etc. The customer doesnt see these cost, out of sight, out of mind. I'm not paying someone to buy my product. Every successful business works this way. PayPal is just charging you to sell your part by a medium you normally wouldn't have, I think that's fair

The 3% Gouger moral (amoral?) dilemma. lol

He really wants to get paid instantly through Paypal and NOT deal with the hassle of that MO.....BUT rather YOU just pay for HIS convenience of taking YOUR money.
And does Pay Pal instantly put actual cash in your pocket,
No,
they send you a check, you go to the bank,,,
So what is the difference?

And does Pay Pal instantly put actual cash in your pocket,
No,
they send you a check, you go to the bank,,,
So what is the difference?

Paypal sends you a check?? lol
sorry that's not how any of that works.

Its not 1997. The world uses computers now and not so much waiting for the mailman and driving to the Bank.

Paypal sends you a check?? lol
sorry that's not how any of that works.

I use Pay Pal, but I don't have my bank account linked to them,
if you do, consider this, you probably know more about me than you know about any person working at Pay Pal,
there are probably a couple thousand smart IT folks at Pay Pal, some in India, some in China, some in Pakistan, and you give them your bank info,, that is your choice, certainly not mine,

be careful who you give your personal information to, its not 1997.

Last edited:
I don't have my bank account linked to Pay Pal,,
if you do, consider this, you probably know more about me than you know about any person working at Pay Pal,
and you give them your bank info,, that is your choice, certainly not mine,

be careful who you give your personal information to, its not 1997.
That’s why I set up an independent account at a bank just to transfer funds to and from PayPal. Then from there, I can transfer the funds anywhere I want and PayPal has no access to it. The account is used for nothing else.

No fee checking accounts are free at most banks and easy to set up.

That’s why I set up an independent account at a bank just to transfer funds to and from PayPal. Then from there, I can transfer the funds anywhere I want and PayPal has no access to it. The account is used for nothing else.

No fee checking accounts are free at most banks and easy to set up.

and that may not be a bad plan, my point is, it is still time and effort,

Credit Card Fees, Send Money Fees & Other Charges - PayPal US

Selling is 2.9% + $0.30 per sale.

That's a small price to pay for accepting major forms of payment from any of the 203 million active customers worldwide. There are no hidden PayPal fees. You don't have to pay anything until you get paid for selling something. Our rates are some of the most competitive in the industry – keeping you in business and your customers happy.

More about PayPal merchant fees

Sales within the US 2.9% + $0.30 per transaction
Discounted rate for eligible charities 2.2% + $0.30 per transaction
International sales 4.4% transaction fee plus a fixed fee based on currency received
PayPal HereTM card reader 2.7% when you swipe a card or 3.5% plus $0.15 for manually entered transactions

as a buyer its a convenience for me.. i don't have to waste my time going somewhere to buy a money order. and i also don't have to wait for the MO to get to the seller and clear before my part is shipped... i gladly use paypal to save me from waiting...

just bought a bracket from a guy on facebook the other day.. used paypal and gladly paid the fee. part was here today. if i bought a MO then the part would still be in the sellers hand and not to me for probably close to a week from today.

I’m also not quite sure why we need an ALL CAPS thread title to talk about a few pennies of difference between advertised rates and what was actually charged.

It this some matter of tremdous urgency and concern?

Nope...just a minor detail.

Maybe drama and stirring the pot was the point?

Hmmm...

want a recommendation for the MoH? a Cookie? a round of applause? What does any of that have to do with my original post about paypal not charging the advertised fee?
They overcharged me on a couple of ebay perchases too, but went back to .03% . Who knows ??????

I’m also not quite sure why we need an ALL CAPS thread title to talk about a few pennies of difference between advertised rates and what was actually charged.

Hmmm...
If ur referring to me , there are so many pop ups on this site that it affects it while I`m typing, always jumping around and changing things. Some times I hit the caps button and don't realize it till I proof read my post, and don`t feel like retyping it.
It even post things before I hit the post button!

as a buyer its a convenience for me.. i don't have to waste my time going somewhere to buy a money order. and i also don't have to wait for the MO to get to the seller and clear before my part is shipped... i gladly use paypal to save me from waiting...

just bought a bracket from a guy on facebook the other day.. used paypal and gladly paid the fee. part was here today. if i bought a MO then the part would still be in the sellers hand and not to me for probably close to a week from today.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I gotta go with this ^ ! Buyer protection has worked for me twice too !

Hmmm...
No. I didn't realize caps lock was on until after I posted it and it wouldn't let me edit.

And I was merely posting it as a courtesy to let others beware it's not just a 3 percent fee.

But I'm curious, how is it not posting drama when you post all of your work issues in the other thread?

If ur referring to me , there are so many pop ups on this site that it affects it while I`m typing, always jumping around and changing things. Some times I hit the caps button and don't realize it till I proof read my post, and don`t feel like retyping it.
It even post things before I hit the post button!
No he's taking a shot at me, for the second time at least in this thread. Yet he can post all his work drama and it is ok.

Its not the fees or the obvious convenience and time saved using PP for BOTH the Seller and Buyer. Again, I paid PP over $2500 so far in fees this year and I'm quite satisfied in their service.

Its more the overt douche-baggery of a "seller" demanding full compensation while participating in the added benefit of using PP.

Last edited:
On top of that, the last purchase I made, they didn`t use my balance toward the purchase. Guess the want to use the money as long as they can! They keep on doing screwy stuff and I will quit them ! There are other ways, tho slower.
You have to go in and set your "preferences" on how you want the "default" balance to be paid....

I got burned by that ONCE.... Just ONCE....

That's how and when I learned to set the preference on how the default payment is taken, or pay attention to one of the screens when the paypal asks for confirmation of the payment and choose what method that you want for that particular transaction....

No. I didn't realize caps lock was on until after I posted it and it wouldn't let me edit.

And I was merely posting it as a courtesy to let others beware it's not just a 3 percent fee.

But I'm curious, how is it not posting drama when you post all of your work issues in the other thread?
I don't start new threads about it. Therein lies the difference.

I don't start new threads about it. Therein lies the difference.
I just figured as much as it's used on here, people might be interested. Wasn't trying to stir a debate about those fees.

The added benefit of paypal as a seller until the buyer down right screws you over... yeah it's a benefit to get your $ now and be able to transfer. It sure isn't without perils for sellers, that's for sure.

Don't like someones approach, DON'T BUY FROM THEM... it's that simple. Bitching and crying over it because it's not "your" way is a waste of time. What about places that proivide a "cash" discount... you pissed at them too... :) It's rhetorical and requires no answer.

I'm with Joe, I pay the fee all the time because it's insurance. People that buy from me send money all the time using F&F or G&S. Are you getting charged the fee or not... that's the million dollar question if you see it or don't.

Someone every once in a while complains about this and takes the sanctimonious, moral high ground route to justify the position. Must be that time of year for it again. LOL

The bigger issue paypal calculating the fee incorrectly that this thread ahs veered off the rails from. Carry on.

Happy holidays all!! Or is that bad because I didn't say Christmas or something else... :)

yep, not like my math was off, he said 3% so I sent an extra 3%. No idea that Paypal took more than 3%. Makes one wonder if they could be sued for that
Uh...yeah! start a class action lawsuit and take the $10K up front as a plantiff and let the lawyers get the other 300 million while all the rest of the 'class' gets a buck eighty.

Uh...yeah! start a class action lawsuit and take the $10K up front as a plantiff and let the lawyers get the other 300 million while all the rest of the 'class' gets a buck eighty.

Time to go feed the dogs !!------literally! LOL

-
Back