Heads

-

Daniel Dugas

Reaction score
Hey guys so I’m going to pick up a set of the speedmaster aluminum heads on Black Friday. But the heads I’m going to get say they are for a hydraulic flat tappet, and I have a mechanical camshaft. Am I still okay to run these heads or is this gonna be a problem? -Thanks

It’s the springs they ship with the heads that determine what they are set up for. Get springs that match the cam you are using.

I only bought one set of heads that were complete and that was last year. I bought the hydraulic roller spring set up and over all I was more than pleased. My customer wanted to go with a regular hydraulic cam so we thought we would have to order springs for his setup. When I disassembled the heads there were about six shims to get the required pressure. We were able to remove some shims and he was good to go with those springs. The retainers and keepers were nice looking 10 degree stuff not the cheap azz 7 degree stuff on Edelbrock heads. Im not sure if they ship out the lower pressure springs with the 10 degree or not but that for sure was a bonus.

Ohhhh and after the trainwreck with a set of bare heads a customer sent me to get ported I will be buying loaded heads probably from now on. .003 over sized valve guide, and unfinished chambers. I’m thinking hopefully those would have been caught during assembly. That cost me a lot of money and Speedmaster did nothing.

Hey guys so I’m going to pick up a set of the speedmaster aluminum heads on Black Friday.

Black Friday.jpg

Hey guys so I’m going to pick up a set of the speedmaster aluminum heads on Black Friday. But the heads I’m going to get say they are for a hydraulic flat tappet, and I have a mechanical camshaft. Am I still okay to run these heads or is this gonna be a problem? -Thanks
Are you getting 65cc or 68cc and can you explain why you chose one over the other?

Are you getting 65cc or 68cc and can you explain why you chose one over the other?
Not Speedmaster.. but I got 63cc heads to bump the compression on my 360LA a bit. Slugs are a full .100 in the hole so I did not have to worry about interference.

MY2C

-
Back