heads

-

ibleedmoparts

Reaction score
can anyone tell me what the stock cc's are for a set of 77' smog heads? when buying pistons the give a cc range for compression purposes and i'm wondering what mine are

Nope. Not without klnowing what engine you're talking. Most open chamber 340/360 "J" style, including X, J, O, 915, and the later ones are all somewhere around 74-76 factory, sometimes more. The 318 open chambers are a little more accurate than the larger ones, IIRC closer to 60ccs. The big blocks, from 906-up, all are huge, on the order of 87-94+ again depending on the mood of the guy cutting seats and the casting. They are always bigger. And more importantly, so is the deck hieght of your block. So those catalog numbers are never true. Best bet is pick the piston you want, and tell the machinist to blueprint everything.

can anyone tell me what the stock cc's are for a set of 77' smog heads? when buying pistons the give a cc range for compression purposes and i'm wondering what mine are

The 77s used two different castings, both with 63 cc chambers. The 77 318 stock pistons have the largest top of piston to deck height of any used. The 67-69 pistons have the lowest and will bring compression to around 9.2:1. If you want more compression than this, you'll need to start milling and/or install aftermarket pistons.

My book list cc's for '77 smog 318 or 360 at 64-72 cc's..why do you want to use these heads there's plenty of better choices out there...

Not saying i wanna use those heads, just wondering what they were really...i think i can get more for my money by buying a set of 340 heads, just curious really...gotta find some pistons first, then i can start the math on heads etc...thanks to all who gave their input!!

Whats the head casting numbers, what engine did they come off of, what engine are they to be (Possibly) used for?

Don't short sell the iron heads over a edelbrock head so fast. An iron head may not be able to be ported out as much or as far as a Edel. head, but do you really need the large cc ports and flow rate of the Edel. head on the combo? (What ever it is)

Rumble
I went out tonight to get those #'s and that thing is way dirty, i'll get them on Sunday since the wife will be outta town. But the left side of the block had this:
4006830-360-2

OK, if it's not answered by someone, I'll get with ya tomorrow here on that. It's almost time to hit the bricks for work tonight.

-
Back