heat riser stuck open, leave? remove? or fix?

-

coffeedart67

Reaction score
The heat riser on my 67 Dart GT 273 is stuck open, haven't tried to free it up yet. I searched this and the more I read the more confused I got on what to do. Since it is stuck open I am tempted to leave it as is. Mostly a summer driver. Do they ever unstick themselves? On my 51 Plymouth with 318, I just removed the valve and tapped the holes and put bolts in the holes, but on the Dart I would like to retain the outside heat riser hardware. I am afraid if I try to free it, then I will end up rebuilding it, if that is the case where does one get a rebuld kit? Opinions, thoughts, etc.
Thanks
Aaron

Leave it as is, if it is truly froze it is not going anywhere.
I hear you on rebuilding them they are a pain, and never seem to work 100% even after rebuilding.

Yep, leave it open. Mine worked so I bought a new thermostatic spring but it does rattle a bit and I have never found the proper spring to prevent the rattle.

Here's a nos kit for the 318/360 manifolds. The bigger clock spring is the thermostat and the smaller spring (looks like a ball point pen spring with hooks on both ends) is the anti rattle spring. It hooks between the end of the shaft and the stationary pin. I have tried some general purpose springs but they loose their tension because of the heat. tmm

http://www.bradsnosmopar.com/nosmop34heat.html

Dumb question of the day lol are the manifolds worth anything? Ihave a set thats clean all casting numbers are clear and heat riser free. Thanks

I have the manifolds off, need to have them sandblasted for paint, and try to control myself, so I don't start trying to get it unstuck. Won't be a problem cause it is about 10 degrees out today and no heat in the garage, so no working on anything, unless I run to town and grab the heater box and start rebuilding it, I can do that in the house.

Wouldn't worry about it then...as long as you're sure it's stuck OPEN!!!...ask me how I know.
OK. I'm asking. How do you know if the riser is stuck open or closed?
Mine is stuck, but I don't know in which position.
thanks

Put headers on it. Expensive ones.

Even after rebuilding my 340 heat riser many years ago, it rattled and drove me crazy. When it came time to restore my exhaust manifolds, I debated about repairing it again or just remove it. Rebuild kits for 340's are expensive and I believe that the 273 rebuild kits are also expensive and difficult to find. I ended up removing the flapper and leaving the counterweight in place for a more correct look.

Mine was stuck 3/4 closed. Freed it up, reinstalled manifold. You guys are making me wonder if I did wrong by not junking it ???
Yote

I wired my heat riser open on my Ramcharger, and I drive it to work daily. It really didn't change much with the warm-up on the cold mornings, at least none that I saw. Mine rattled like crazy and was the reason why I wired it open.

Mine use to rattle in my 1967 GTS Dart about 45 years ago. I tried fixing it and it still rattled so I took the spring off and let it stay open. Been that way ever since and haven't missed it.

-
Back