Heater Box / Cowl Seal

-

nodemon

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I just put new firewall insulation in. I'm trying to reinstall the heater box but can't get it tight enough and / or in place well enough for the cowl seal to be effective. It's loose and there's a gap. Any ideas..? My first thought was that the new insulation was thicker, but is definitely not the case. At a loss here.

20230427_174250.jpg

20230427_174157.jpg

20230427_174157~3.jpg

I figured you wouldn't have missed that but thats my only suggestion.
I appreciate the response.. I'll step away from it for a bit, and I'll probably figure out it was something pretty simple I overlooked...

The box should be installed "loose". Then push up on the box and at the same time tighten the "J" hook. Lastly tighten the four blower/firewall nuts. If that doesn't close the gap- use two gaskets.

Some black permatex gasket maker would close that hole up real quick… and no one would ever even know. :thumbsup:

That gasket needs better adhesive on it at box and cowl. The one i bought from aftermarket had a peel and stick on one side. The adhesive came right of the foam along with the peel part.

Are the blower studs binding on

That gasket needs better adhesive on it at box and cowl. The one i bought from aftermarket had a peel and stick on one side. The adhesive came right of the foam along with the peel part.
I got the seal from DMT.. It mentions adhesive, but the seal I received doe have it.
I was just going to put some dots of 3m black weatherstrip down. And looking at the seal now, I'm not sure now which part goes down..meaning there's a "solid" side of the seal and a foam part. Does the solid side go against the cowl and box or the foam.

I got the seal from DMT.. It mentions adhesive, but the seal I received doe have it.
I was just going to put some dots of 3m black weatherstrip down. And looking at the seal now, I'm not sure now which part goes down..meaning there's a "solid" side of the seal and a foam part. Does the solid side go against the cowl and box or the foam.
I don't recall mine having a solid side. All foam, about 3/4 square. I do recall using same 3M weatherstrip adhesive on it. I would think your solid side goes to the box which is likely the flattest surface. Then foam side could conform to the cowl.

I don't recall mine having a solid side. All foam, about 3/4 square. I do recall using same 3M weatherstrip adhesive on it. I would think your solid side goes to the box which is likely the flattest surface. Then foam side could conform to the cowl.
If you look at my pix, the solid side is showing.. The sides of the seal that are pressed against the cowl and box looks like foam.

you could ask Jim at DMT... my gasket didn't have such a solid side. It was many moon ago. I don't know that the solid side goes to the box but the gasket is square foam and will invert to put that solid side to any direction. Goo luck with it.

Maybe just add a piece of this to the top of the current seal? Cheap and you won't have to deal with the cleanup of RTV if you ever remove it again. This stuff squishes down quite a bit.

-
Back