Heater box door explanation?

-

V8-valiant

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey all, after years of not having a heater I have put together a replacement heater assembly. My question is why do I have 4 different doors on this heater box but only 3 cables to hook up from my controls? The heater box was put together from parts out of a 64 & 65 valiant or barracuda going in my 65 valiant.

IMG_1255.jpeg

IMG_1256.jpeg

In your second picture, Vixen, my 64 Valiant does not have the door second from the right. She only has three doors, as she only has three control knobs.

In your second picture, Vixen, my 64 Valiant does not have the door second from the right. She only has three doors, as she only has three control knobs.
Ok and so that’s what I was looking at, that second door from the right blocks off the front or rear of the heater core based on the position of the door. Not sure that actually does anything? Thinking of just removing that door and running the most outward rt door cause it would block off heat for fresh air.

IMG_1260.jpeg

IMG_1257.jpeg

Mine doesn't have it. At all. No hole, no nuthin. lol

no idea bout hook up
and no idea about heater boxes in earlier cars as this is based on the unknown bits i have in a box

but you have a door to allow plenum air and wasps to be diverted into the heater or directly out up the leg of the shorts of any passeneger

if you car had no heater at all you would still have the round plenum vent box with this flap and its pull push cable and knob.

you have a flap in the heater box to divert air through the core to heat it up or via a different route so cold air from the plenum can get up to the screen via the platsic manifold and pipes that co up to the dash vents without being warmed in any way.

and you have a flap in there that allows air from the car interior to be pulled in via the box from inside the car and through the core to heat it further

i.e heating/recirculating without the icy wind from the plenum comeing through the heater box

so a pull push for the vent in the front of the round plenum box
a pull push for warmer cooler
and a pull push for outside air or inside air through the heater

one imagines to achieve some of this, a couple of the flaps are paird. so that you can't conspire to make a "dead end"

Dave

Interesting.
Some is same as the next generation boxes.

The three doors shown in the '65 Plymouth FSM

1693485928497.png

But '66 Dodge FSM has the door under the connecting tubes like my '67 but
1693486104386.png

1693486414505.png

This one looks to be the one that shuts off the air intake but controls the amount of outside air allowed to mix in, so that makes it the temperature control.
1693487843848.png

That makes the inner door the additional shutoff.
1693487778898.png

For 67 its three cables attached to two controls on the dash

Last edited:
The resistors are in the 66 and 67 location. Could be the 65 FSM illustration wasnt updated or ???

-
Back