heater box question

-

macmic87

Reaction score
i have 2 heater boxes that i aquired and i want to make 1 good one out of them. there is a difference on where the brackets are for the cables. would some one have a pic or be able to explain the difference between the years so i can assemble one that is correct for 1972. thanks

Welcome to FABO! Post a photo of your heater boxes and we'll take a look. There should be a part number stenciled somewhere on the fiberglass housing. That number will help in the ID. The heater suitcases and cores changed over the years.

thanks for the welcome. here are pics of the heater boxes i am working with. the goal is to get the correct heater core and the correct position of the cable brackets to put together a box that would be correct for a 1972 vehicle. thanks.
IMG_3057.jpg

Welcome.

My heater box was just like the top pic, and I would suggest starting with that one.
Depending on the blower motor of course, which can be swapped out if needed.
A new core cost me about 40 bucks from Checker Auto and I added insulating points here and there.
Painted with satin black.

Attachments

• heater ready.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 495
The only difference I can see is that the left cable bracket is in a different spot between those two boxes.

The bottom box looks identical to the one I just removed from my '71 Valiant to RnR the blower, but I wouldn't use it. I see at least two holes caused by broken-off cable brackets, and damage along the edges.Also, the box, other than the front panel which unclips, is riveted together so there's not much disassembly you can do.

As long as the studs coming from the blower motor physically match the hole in the firewall of the intended vehicle, it'll fit. That's all that holds them in besides a long "hanger" rod that goes up into the fresh air plenum under the cowl. I hope you have that piece.

You ought to be able to make that leftmost cable bracket work out, just don't go pulling on it much because that fiberglass is brittle.

I have some videos of the box r and r on my youtube channel

www.youtube.com/whosaidtyler

wheres a good place to find a cheap heater box? besides ebay 1973

A pull-it-yourself junkyard.

People that part out Mopars tend to overvalue things.

A pull-it-yourself junkyard.

People that part out Mopars tend to overvalue things.

I can get thoes airboxes for 15 bucks and turn it into a box like I did for another 10 or so.
Cost twenty five bucks to do,,, $150 what could you do with that right?

i am putting one together for someone. he has a 72 demon. i was just trying to confirm the proper cable bracket locations for that year. either case will need repair, just looking to confirm locations.

Your top photo looks to be a '67 A-body. The bottom one matches the '68-70 units I have. I don't have any '71-up types at them moment so I can't tell you what differences they may have. The heater cores are grouped differently. '63-9 are the same, '70-2 is another design, and '73-6 is a 3rd.

-
Back