Heater Box Repair Advice Needed

-

1969VADart

Reaction score
I need some advice on the best way to repair my heater box. While opening the little fresh air door that mounts on the box, the rivets (or whatever they are) broke through the side of the box ripping the fresh air door off. I should have made sure that the old door hinge was freed up better, but unfortunately that is a lesson learned. In the meantime, I am wondering what the best way to attach the door with hinge back onto the box is? I am going to grind off those little rivets that hold the hinge on the box. If I JB Weld the large holes that broke open will it be sturdy enough if I then run two small bolts and nuts through those holes to hold the hinge on, or should I maybe drill new holes along the side? Would appreciate any advice on the best way to repair this or what did you do if you had the same problem.

Had the same issue when it came time to overhaul the car. I repaired it by using a metal strip backer for extra support on the inside out of view! Replaced the rivets with the same type originally used (tubular semi hollow). It is very hard to even tell it had been repaired.

Did you do anything to repair the holes on the box where the hinge broke off?

Had the same issue when it came time to overhaul the car. I repaired it by using a metal strip backer for extra support on the inside out of view! Replaced the rivets with the same type originally used (tubular semi hollow). It is very hard to even tell it had been repaired.

No to repairing the box.

The rivets pulled through on the driver side box 27 years ago. The heater box was just very loose but not broken apart. The doors have the metal strip at the hinge and I just copied it in sheet metal for the inside to make a sandwich. Got the right rivets and clincher tool and put them back.

I hate pop rivets...... They can be used if do not care about appearence, just use an appropriate sized star washer on the blind side before you cinch it for extra holding power.

I need some advice on the best way to repair my heater box. While opening the little fresh air door that mounts on the box, the rivets (or whatever they are) broke through the side of the box ripping the fresh air door off. I should have made sure that the old door hinge was freed up better, but unfortunately that is a lesson learned. In the meantime, I am wondering what the best way to attach the door with hinge back onto the box is? I am going to grind off those little rivets that hold the hinge on the box. If I JB Weld the large holes that broke open will it be sturdy enough if I then run two small bolts and nuts through those holes to hold the hinge on, or should I maybe drill new holes along the side? Would appreciate any advice on the best way to repair this or what did you do if you had the same problem.

I did the exact same thing!!! I'll probably fix it sometime but I got a good one out of my 75 parts car that in gonna use in my 72, I made sure to spray the 75s hinges and slowly worked it loose!! Guess we all learn from mistakes! Lol

I had to do that same repair on my 66 A/c box I'm installing. I did grab all the broken pieces and epoxied them back together with a thin(22gauge) metal backer strip also smeared with epoxy to insure that I did not ever pull out the rivets through the heater box control. so far so good and it's been sitting a while and still opens good. I did also drill out the hinge rivets and install aluminum rivets so that they would not rust and bind again also.

-
Back