heater box screw repair?

-

Steven190

Reaction score
I bought a used heater box for a 72. All went back tighter well except one screw between the heater tubes. It was stripped and will not tighten. There is a grounding wire connected to this screw.
My question is what can I use to repair the hole enough to get the screw to hold the wire terminal?
I thought about fiberglass or JB weld. Can I coat the screw so it does not get fixed into the hole? Need to get it snug to hold the ground.

stripped screw.jpg

Is the hole in the fiberglass stripped or the hole in the metal bracket??

In the pic it looks like there a space under the fiberglass mounting surface. If there is a space could you simply use a machine screw with a locking (fiber nut) nut. I won't come loose and it will be removable??Treblig

Unfortunately there is on material in the hole for the screw to grip.
I was looking at using, maybe, a releasing agent on the screw, add something to replace the fiberglass, screw in the screw to form thread, let harden , remove screw and place metal plate and screw back, being careful not to tight too much, just enough to make contact for the ground.

Well looks like you have a plan. I would just fill in the hole with epoxy, maybe a piece of tape on the back side of the hole to keep the epoxy from dripping out. Let sit over night to cure, and then drill a pilot hole for the screw.....sheet metal screw right?

I'm confused as to what is stripped. How does the screw between the pipes screw into fiberglass?

What I did for tail light lens was thread screw in with pipe tape on it. Epoxied the hole and let it set. Backed screw out next day and peeled tape out. Worked great for me.

Thanks all, I will let you, most likely will use JB weld, it is an epoxy based.

An update, I used some JB weld. used a toothpick to pack it into the hole, and let it set overnight. Then I used a file to flatten the surface. Drilled a new starter hole 5/32" drill bit. I used the original self tapping screw
Tightening until it was snug. It was tight and secure. Thanks for the replies, I wanted to see if there was anything new or improved, but the tried and true method still works.

-
Back