Heater control valve

-

C39

Reaction score
Anybody know where to get a new "correct" heater control valve for an air conditioned 1971? Everybody (Advance, Autozone, RockAuto etc) sell a unit that I am sure is the functional equivalent, but is nowhere near being correct - appearance wise.

Anybody know where to get a new "correct" heater control valve for an air conditioned 1971? Everybody (Advance, Autozone, RockAuto etc) sell a unit that I am sure is the functional equivalent, but is nowhere near being correct - appearance wise.

Feel your pain trying to find this valve. The 1971 nomenclature part number I have for the 71 Valiant and Dart models is valve, water 3441 045. Maybe a dealer can cross that over to the current PN system. The ones around the Edge of the World could not. I ended up fabricating a braket and mounting an "incorrect" one from either Auto Zone or Rock Auto. The fact that I'm not using a "correct" valve is not evident to the casual observer. And for the ones that make an issue of it....:bootysha:. When someone else pays the bills, someone else can make the choice.

2 Darts - you're absolutely right. I get so caught up in stupid minutia (sp?) that I lose site of reality. I do try to keep this crap original, not to please anyone else, but to please me. And that's great, up to a point.

I have a 1947 Chrysler New Yorker. neat car. It has 2 heaters, both under the dashboard. They have a cable controlled heater valve on the engine with 2 outlets that supplies hot water to the heaters. You and I both know that I will never drive that car when i need heat, but I am the idiot who spent about $250 on an original heater valve. I could have gone to Lowe's plumbing department and rigged up something perfectly functional, but no, the perfectionist idiot alterego had to do the thinking for me.

Anyhow, thanks for the input and will keep my eye out for that part number. For now, I have painted my old one cast iron gray, which looks OK, and I am pretty sure it works. The actuator works when I suck on the vacuum nipple, so that's a good sign.

Right. I get your point. On the 73, my driver, I have thought nothing of substituting parts when an original fit is not available. Basically, make it work, do what I can to make it looks like it actually belongs there. Such is not the case with the 72 on the external visuals. Made three deviations inside: Dash trim is engine turned, modern radio, manual remote controls for the back seat windows (even at that the hardware is all Mopar).

I thought of another potential source(s) which would be the F/M/J bodies. The valve mounted on the fender brace on the driver's side. The bracket can be re-formed to fit the A-body. As I recall, part of the valve on the F/M/J is plastic. It won't rust the same as the original, but if any of the nipples (water hose, vacuum hose) break off, it may be tough to fix.

Mopar part number 3441045. If this is the correct part number as posted by 2DARTS.

SILKE'S AUTO PARTS INC.
JACKSONVILLE, FL 32217
001 (904) 737-8600

VALLEY VINTAGE AUTO PARTS
BRUNSWICK, OH 44212
001 (440) 355-4085

CENTRAL JERSEY MOTOR PARTS
ENGLISHTOWN, NJ 07726
001 (732) 446-3738

I looked up the part number at Valley Vintage Auto Parts-It seems that they have one. As I recall for 70-71. 2Darts was correct.

Dave

C39,

Central Jersey Motor Parts has the valve you are looking for-it's $99 + about $9 shipping. I just bought one for my 67 Dart. cjmotorparts.com

in the search use- water valve, you will see part number 3441045

Dave

-
Back