Heater core issue?

-

Dizzydean

Reaction score
I was wondering how to tell if the heater core is leaking or defective in my 67 Dart. I'm getting white smoke out of the fresh air intake in front and also inside the car. It doesn't smell like burning oil or wires (thankfully) and it increases with the fan on. Also getting a film on the inside windshield. This car hasent been driven in a lot of years seems like it doing the domino effect when I repair something. Thanks for the help.

You have a bad core, you can get one at rock auto there not to expensive or hard to change.

If you want to be sure just disconnect the two hoses that run to the heater core and block them off. Blow out the heater core with an air compressor to remove any coolant..put a hose on one side and route it to a drain pan.....be careful.

Now block off those two hoses with something and see if you get anymore haze from your defroster. If not then you have a bad core.

I also agree that you probably have a bad core but it never hurts to do an easy check before you commit to the hard work.

Good luck. :D

Antifreeze has a odor and will leave a greasy film on the windshield that doesn't wipe away easy like clear water does. There's your sign.

If you are getting steam on the insides of your windows and it gets worse with the blower on, it's the heater core or very slight chance of a hose leaking where they connect to the core.

Everything you do besides removing it is just playing around with it for the fun of it. :D

(blocking off hoses and stuff like that) is just a waste of time and effort.

Troubleshooting a problem is never a waste of time.

A waste of time is throwing money at a problem without making sure what's wrong first.

Troubleshooting a problem is never a waste of time.

A waste of time is throwing money at a problem without making sure what's wrong first.

I never said "throw money at it", but to check the hoses for leaks and then pull it.
Steamy window.
Trouble shooting done, because where the hell else is steam going to come from and get on the inside of the window?

Slobbery dog?
Wet, hot laundry in the back seat?
Over exited wife or girlfriend?

But yea go ahead and play with it for hours first, cause for some reason a lot of people on here love to do that.

-
Back