Heater hose diameter

-

72dart

Mopa
Reaction score
I need to replace the heater hoses on my Dart and have heard that our cars have two sizes for the inlet and outlet. One is 5/8 inch and the other 1/2 inch. I have also heard that 1970 and later have both hoses at 1/2 inch. Is this correct information?

Your correct, my 1972 Duster has a 1/2 for one and the other one 5/8

Attachments

• DSC01492-1.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 1,048
hmm. thats odd. im pretty sure my 68 cuda has both hoses at 5/8".. i will have to check tonight!

oh, maybe the 67-69 A-body's had both heater hoses at 5/8"...

Do you know which is 1/2 inch and which is 5/8 inch? Thanks.

Look at the picture Richard posted, you can clearly see which line is bigger. Same on my 74, 5/8" and 1/2".

I showed you a pictures of the old motor, well here is the new motor....
That was the 273 I removed because of Blow By....

New 360 Motor installed Christmas of last year

Merry Christmas to me ha.

You should be able to tell from the picture, the one on the Intake....

Attachments

• DSC03911-1.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 894
On '70-'72 models, inlet to the core is 1/2" and outlet back to the engine is 5/8".

On pre-'70 and most post-'72 models they're both 5/8".

What were the engineers thinking? I don't think it matters which way you hook up the heater core, so why make them different? Every car I have, including my Mercedes use 5/8" heater hoses, as best I recall.

Smaller input than output reduces likelihood of waterflow noise which in turn reduces likelihood of costly noise chasing expeditions under warranty, also 1/2" hose and fittings and heater valves saved a couple of pennies per car, and in the auto industry pennies like that make promotions. So why'd they go back to all 5/8" in '73? Who knows? In '70 they were still promoting the inability to lock your keys in a Chrysler Corp car because if you locked it and then closed it, it would unlock; you had to use the key. In '71 they switched to promoting their hot new "keyless locking feature"...you could lock the door and close it without having to use the key!. Different engineers, different marketers, maybe their heater core supplier figured out what was actually causing the noise issues and cut 'em a deal to go back to same-size hoses or???

-
Back