Hedman Fenderwells w/ RB motor...

-

67Dart440

Reaction score
Hey guys... been a while since I have visited the site and have searched here and over a BBD with little luck. Is anyone here running the Hedman fenderwells headers in their RB powered A Body and if so, can you tell me how they fit and maybe post some pictures? Mainly I am interested in what tire size you run and if you have any issues with rubbing as so many do with the Hookers. I have the 2" Hookers which worked pretty ok until I switched from stock front end to Alterktion and the car is a couple inches lower now and I can not turn the wheel past the outer header tube in either direction. My options are either modify the ones I have, switch to another brand (i.e. Hedman), or have a custom set made.

Any info/pictures from any of you that have experience with these would be greatly appreciated! Many thanks!!

I know my car has a B block but here are some pictures so you can see what has to happen to install them. I did this over the weekend and mocked up the motor in the car(74 dart)
The headers are 1 7/8"
7A7CD508-1018-4943-A9A4-CDD9DCD82BE5-14169-00000A770DB1B67A.jpg

B8639F9A-6843-4FCD-8D50-350B5618C4F5-15157-00000B7DC734A462.jpg

E583A42A-1C2A-4B7D-97F1-A2B0F76DEBCF-4240-0000037493CE96B3.jpg

F890317F-EE76-4566-BB76-001C174ED0D4-817-000000E9FBD27C02.jpg

Are those Hedman or Hooker headers? They look like Hookers. As I mentioned, I already have the 2" Hookers in the car and was wondering if the Hedmans provide any better fitment especially with regard to tire clearance. My inner fenderwells are long gone, so that is not an issue. I appreciate the response though!

Attachments

• IMAG0441.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 651
i have had both, in my opinion the Hedman ones offered me a slightly better turning radus...... either one isnt great. my headmans also seem to tuck up to the floor a little better offering again a slightly better ground clearance...
sorry i dont have any pictures

Thanks... that was actually one of the few things I was able to find but did not really answer my questions with regard to tire clearance issues. The fabricator that did my cage came by tonight and said it would be just about the same labor to start from scratch as it would be to modify the Hookers... that being the case I think I am going to go with a custom set of stainless headers and be done with it. I appreciate the info!

I don't know how 'set" you are on fenderwell headers. But i will relate my experience with BB A-body headers i have used. I just don't care for either brand of fenderwell headers and have ran both Hedman and Hookers. My header of choice, especially big tube are the Pro-Parts formally Herb McCandless design. They have one tube on the on the pass. side thatruns outside the framerail and two on the DS. I have used these on Low decks and RB's Easy to take on and off. I hope this helps.

Thanks... that was actually one of the few things I was able to find but did not really answer my questions with regard to tire clearance issues. The fabricator that did my cage came by tonight and said it would be just about the same labor to start from scratch as it would be to modify the Hookers... that being the case I think I am going to go with a custom set of stainless headers and be done with it. I appreciate the info!

That would be the way to go for sure. Let us know how they turn out and remember the pics. Lots of PICS!!!!

So I decided to order and try a set of Hedman Fenderwells figuring worst that would happen is I would have to send them back and best case I would save at least $1500 as compared to a custom set. They were on back order and took a month to arrive, but they fit great! A little more difficult to get the some of the bolts in than the Hookers, but I can get both in from the top (had to remove tires and go from underneath with Hookers), have much more clearance around m/c, and can turn lock to lock and the only thing close is the little tabs that hold the collector in place. Drivers side clears, passenger side just rubs at full lock. If anyone is in the market for a set of 2" ceramic coated Hookers, those are for sale. Only run on the car about 5 times, no discoloring and in excellent shape except for some minor scuffs from tires rubbing.

Attachments

• DSC03016.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 563
  • DSC03017.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 534
  • DSC03018.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 531
  • DSC03019.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 543
  • DSC03020.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 570
  • DSC03021.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 536
  • DSC03022.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 524
  • DSC03023.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 515
i run the headman fenderwell headres on my 71 dart with indy 440-1 heads on my 440,and a tubular k-frame my tire size is 25.0x4.5-15 goodyear front runners on weld wheels,but this is a drag car only with rack and pinion,the rack and pinion doent turn sharp as the factory box

The tires in the pictures are M/T Sportsman 26x7.5x15 on 4" Weld Wheels. I have the Alterktion front suspension with BB motor mounts and manual rack and pinion. Very impressed with the Hedmans... just wish they had a little more clearance near the valve covers, but other than that, can not complain.

if your running the alter-k why not just get a set of under carriage headers? heck even pro parts give ya more room then the full fenderwells..

if your running the alter-k why not just get a set of under carriage headers? heck even pro parts give ya more room then the full fenderwells..

I have a number of reasons for wanting to stick with the fenderwell headers. They are just what I prefer and happen to be a better choice for my particular setup.

I don't know how 'set" you are on fenderwell headers. But i will relate my experience with BB A-body headers i have used. I just don't care for either brand of fenderwell headers and have ran both Hedman and Hookers. My header of choice, especially big tube are the Pro-Parts formally Herb McCandless design. They have one tube on the on the pass. side thatruns outside the framerail and two on the DS. I have used these on Low decks and RB's Easy to take on and off. I hope this helps.

Can these headers be installed w/o pulling the motor out?

-
Back