HEI ignition module

-
I'm not sure dielectric grease is a huge deal. It's likely more useful in the HV tower. There's been a number of us use HEI modules, I've used them in about 3 projects. One was a Toyota 20R I swapped into a Cletrac crawler "red neck low budget" LOL

View attachment 1715702304
That **** will run forever...and probably pass smog here too!

There is a magnetic field around the wire. I am talking about straight wires as you would use for the ign coil primary. These do not make an inductor, because the wires are not wrapped in a loop or coil. The mag field as such does nothing, just sits there. If another length of wire is close to & parallel to the first wire, inductance will be induced [ mutual inductance ] into the wires; in this case, the tiny amount is not going to affect spark output. If the wires are separated slightly, there will be no induced inductance because of the increased distance.

There is a magnetic field around the wire. I am talking about straight wires as you would use for the ign coil primary. These do not make an inductor, because the wires are not wrapped in a loop or coil. The mag field as such does nothing, just sits there. If another length of wire is close to & parallel to the first wire, inductance will be induced [ mutual inductance ] into the wires; in this case, the tiny amount is not going to affect spark output. If the wires are separated slightly, there will be no induced inductance because of the increased distance.
While you might think you know, it is apparent, that you lack complete understanding, of electromagnetic field theory. There is inductance for straight conductor, an example is electrical transmission lines. There is much more on this subject, and how inductance is reduced. A hint is in 345kV transmission lines.

To minimize coupling, pass conductors at right angles. +

Well, I posted this question as an informational guide, mostly for my sake (obviously). I certainly didn't mean to cause any ill will or hard feelings among members. I have always respected the information and/or opinions of the members here. I used to spend more time on another forum, but that one became a hassle due to snide comments from members who considered questions "stupid", and had no aversion to stating that opinion. Complaints to the forum owners went unanswered, so I left. Haven't been back there since. I always find what answers I am looking for here, and nobody belittles me in the process.
I just don't want to see this form go that route. You all seem like more of a family than anything else.

Hay, no hate here at all. It's a good discussion. People do things differently. Always have and always will. I have much respect for that, because a lot of times I learn new things.

Well said Rusty. When doing things differently, when results are apparent, we learn. When results are less apparent, it is difficult. Often times an example with greater scale exists.

Dielectric grease is an insulator, and lubricant. It displaces moisture and dust, reduces corrosion, and helps with removal. A good electrical contact is necessary, even more so.
I trim excess tails on plug wire crimps,. This is important, especially on distributor ends.

Last edited:
Kit,
Put your glasses on & read post # 28 again.

From the Bosch Automotive Handbook, 9th edition, 1544 pages.
P. 103.
'Law of Induction'.
"Any change in the magnetic flux around which there is a conductor L-O-O-P, caused for example by movement of the loop or changes in field strength, induces a voltage at the terminals of the conductor L-O-O-P."
There is a magnetic field around a straight wire[ as compared to a loop or coil ] but a magnetic field is not inductance.

IMG_20210309_070700.jpg

IMG_20210309_070747.jpg

IMG_20210309_071002.jpg

We battle this all the time in IC chips where lines need to be separated and limited to the amount of length they run together. Otherwise a pulse on one line will appear on another line. We call it cross talk.

-
Back