Hello All - New to Site - Building Us a Hot Rod

-

Hot Rod 63 Valiant

Hot Rodder
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

To start this off, I will have to share the main reason we joined. It's been 9 or 10 years since I have built a Hot Rod, & I have built/help build quite a few. Nothing spectacular, but have hopped up my fair share of Camaros, Trans Ams, Pickups, & an occasional race car here & there, but always your typical muscle car. My favorite one to was a friends '67 Camaro with a small block that ran consistent high 10's in the 1/4. Deep down, I always thought it would be neat to build up a Mopar for a personal Hot Rod but never pursued it. I was taught how to build healthy street rod & race motors, make modifications, etc by a few old hot rodders when I was a kid & I was in the racing seen for quite a while.

I took a left turn about 9 years ago, & got into Jeeps, offroading, running trails, etc. instead. I still have my '94 Jeep YJ but that's another story.

I met my wife about 7 years ago & we got married 6 years ago. The problem is, she hasn't been a fan of the Jeep & does not enjoy riding in it or driving it. It really bothered me that she was not enjoying herself with the Jeep, so very recently, I asked her what she would enjoy doing with me & she said she wanted to build a hot rod with me.

So....... Long story short, as we both have very busy work schedules during the week, we came to a quick decision on spending time together during the weekends building us a unique hot rod that you don't see everyday, at least not anywhere near where we live, lol.

We have bought a 1963 Plymouth Valiant for $2,700 with a straight body, very, very little rust other than a little bit in the rear fender wells. It is mostly all original, except for ignition coil, plug wires, battery etc. After we bought it, I drove about 2 hours back home without an issue, other than the alternator being a bit weak. I decided to do some homework on the Valiants, which is how I found this site. I will be honest, it will not stay original for long, it will be getting a lot of electrical, suspension, & brake upgrades. As far as the engine ...... yea, we're dropping in a V-8 as well. Any hints, tips, & info on parts sources would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rob & Jess

Here's some pics:

IMG_0448.jpg

IMG_0450.jpg

IMG_0451.jpg

IMG_0447.jpg

Welcome to FABO from SoCal, Rob & Jess. You're both going to have some fun here.
Great start to your project. Sure looks clean and solid.
Where is gas $3.17/gal as shown on your first pic? Best prices around me is $3.49/gal for unleaded Regular.

Thanks for the welcomes everyone. Lol, OcDart that was in Levelland, TX. I drove the car from Levelland to Odessa, TX where we live.

Welcome to FABO...... this is a great site! You did mention that you
wanted to put a V-8 in it. We have one.......... and I will ( and other member's) too, will give you some insight on installing a v-8, as there is
a firewall wiper area bump, that is definately in the way. 63 Valiant's only came with /6's........ the first year for the V-8 was in 64, which does have
a different firewall, for distributor clearance. Hope this help's.......... and
we do like your car. :cheers:

Welcome....When you want to sell those original '63 Valiant parts please PM me as I also have a '63.

Welcome to FABO! Thats a nice little car to start your build with.It reminds me of when I first got my 66 Dart...and the plan started to come together.Good luck.:D

Welcome and very nice Valiant. Dodge 33 is right but when done right they are a slick little car.

Welcome and that car looks nice and clean.
If it were mine, I would do upgrades to the suspension, brakes etc.
Leave the slant in place so you can still enjoy a driving car before you tear it apart.
Do the car in sections so you don't get burnt out on it, it seems like when alot of cars get tore apart it is years before they are back on the road.

Good luck, and jeeps are fun, I have a TJ and a 48 Willys CJ-2A.
The Willys I brought back from the grave and the TJ is a daily driver.
My wife don't like the Willys much because it rides rough, sits pretty tall, and is kinda crude, but that is the way Jeeps should be.

Very nice. Early A bodies are cool. I have a 65 and this forum has a collection of great minds that share information as I'm sure you will on builds. Looking forward to your journey and pics are always appreciated.

Welcome to FABO!

You will enjoy this site. Great people and information!

Ma Snart

Attachments

• Shop Front View High.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 84
-
Back