Hello All

-

Kiwicharger

Reaction score
Hi there all. My name is Peter. I come from New Zealand in the Waikato township of Te Aroha in the North Island. I am married and have a little boy who is 10 months old. I have owned a New Zealand assembled Valiant Charger for the past six years and are slowly but surely getting it back together after swapping the drive train from the original 265 six cylinder to a 360/727 power plant. It has been a work in progress for quite some time, but as they say there is light at the end of the tunnel, so hopefully will have it running very shortly. I have been interested in muscle cars since a young age, when my brother in law used to owned Mustangs , Camaros, G.T.Os. and only really got interested in Mopars about 10 or so years ago after seeing a few Australian Valiants, Challengers and a replica General Lee Dodge Charger through various shows and car cruises. I look forward to some good discussions on this forum about common interests and hopefully can share some of my knowledge with fellow forum members. I have attached some photos of my car. Hope you enjoy it and look forward to answering any questions you have about it.

Regards Pete..

Wow;What a nice ride.Are the transmission levers on the right or left?

Welcome aboard Pete, Nize Charger =P~
jump on in and enjoy when you have the time :happy10:

Just a bit of a run down on the car and the drive train.
The car is a 1972 VH Series Chrysler Valiant Charger 770, assembled by Todd motors of Wellington in New Zealand. The 770 option is for the deluxe model spec and was used in the Chargers as well as the four door sedans ( Regals ). The original drive train consisted of the popular 265 cui 4.3 liter inline six cylinder engine ( commonly known as the Hemi Six ). The transmision was a three speed Borg-Warner 35 and the differential is a Aussie Borg-warner 78series L.S.D with 2 spider gears and 2.92:1 Ratio.
The exchange drive train will consist of the following,
360La block bored .60th. 9.5 compression ratio with speed pro hypo pistons.
Edelbrock Performer RPM Heads. Port matched with Air gap intake manifold and Crane Gold race roller rockers.
BG Speed demon 650cfm carb
MSD Ignition with pro billet distributor, coil and leads
Camshaft Hydraulic flat tappet Adv.280/ 474 Lift
Headers are Genieflow ( Australian designed and made ), Tri "Y" design with 1 5/8 primary pipes flowing to 1 3/4 secondrys to a flanged 2 1/2 outlet. Mufflers are Flowmaster American Thunder 40 series.
Transmission is a 727 torqueflite
Rear differential is the original Borg-Warner upgraded with a four spider gear and 3:23.1 ratio.
Wheels and tyres are 14x7 inch front and 15x8 inch rear Cragar Super Spoke with
235/60/14 BFGs up front and 275/50/15 at the rear.
Just curious what people might think i would be making power wise from this combo.
Cheers Pete

And you have the engine bay painted black, awwwwwww.

just kidding great loking ride and welcome.

G'day Pete.....NZ only got 1 model Charger....as far as I know....and it differed from the Oz one....like over-riders were std fittment....yours are missing???....here there were heaps of models from the base XL...215, 3sp floor shift, bench seat....a mate had one over 20yrs ago now. I had a 265, column auto ( BW ), bucket seat VJ model, and a VJ Sportsman..265, 4sp LSD, ......but the X dragon sold them on me....*****!
Nice ride btw.

Super nice !!! Wish they had thst model over here !! Wow , would snap one up in seconds !!! super nice !!!!!

G'day Pete.....NZ only got 1 model Charger....as far as I know....and it differed from the Oz one....like over-riders were std fittment....yours are missing???....here there were heaps of models from the base XL...215, 3sp floor shift, bench seat....a mate had one over 20yrs ago now. I had a 265, column auto ( BW ), bucket seat VJ model, and a VJ Sportsman..265, 4sp LSD, ......but the X dragon sold them on me....*****!
Nice ride btw.
Gudday cjh.
We did get four different models from VH series " Charger base model, Charger XL , and Charger 770 " . They came as completely knocked down units from Australia and were assembled at Todds assembly plant in Wellington. The " RTs " were fully assembled and exported to New Zealand. We did get the different engine options ie: 215, 245, 265, Hemi sixes and 318, 340 V8s. As far as i`m aware, the body options were avalaible here as well.

Cheers Pete

-
Back