Hello from Urbana, IL!

-

jtolbert

Reaction score
Hello FABO! I found your site through some Googling after having some questions about the project I acquired last summer. I purchased a '67 Plymouth Valiant Signet 2dr from Arizona and had it shipped to Illinois...Only to find it vandalized in the cheap storage I had the car in before buying my house...Yes, I bought a car and then bought a house with a garage to work on the car in.

I'm an IT goon for a Federal research location. I've been in to cars as long as I can remember and my father steered me right (towards MOPARs). I've always had a soft spot for the a-bodies in particular...I was originally looking for a '67 Barracuda notchback, but I ended up with the '67 Valiant.

The car itself led a rough life before I got it. It was originally a very high-option car but nothing original is left. It's a Signet, a/c car, original 273 car, disc brakes, vinyl top...The only real "missing" option is it's a manual instead of an auto, but I prefer it that way. The car is mostly rust free, but there's some rot behind the right rear wheel and the front floor pans are shot. There's also a tear in the firewall above the left-side valve cover and the panel gaps are bigger on the left side, so I think it was beat on pretty severely at some point. It doesn't look to have ever been hit. Someone really bubba'd the car up pretty badly...There's a metal monstrosity screwed on to the transmission hump to mount the auto shifter and the front carpet was held in with wood screws. The car has a 318/904 in it now, but that will all get tossed.

When I got the car it had most of the hard-to-find exterior parts, including good trim and such, but the vandals decided to break all the glass, grills, headlights/tail lights, grill surrounds, grill emblem, smash the decklid, bash up some of the window trim, put a dent in the cowl, put a small dent in the roof, smash up the trunk trim, bash up the hood---no big loss, as it came with one of the ugliest hood scoops known to man---and rip up some stuff inside the car. Luckily, the car had a '70s-custom interior that was gonna get pitched anyway. I managed to find a bunch of parts to get the car back to where it was and a bit nicer (hood, decklid, doors, glass, '68-style window trim, '68 Signet interior panels since I like them better than the '67s, grills, grill extensions, grill surround, center emblem, etc.) but I still have a long road ahead of me.

Currently I'm starting to tear the car down. I have the seats, seatbelt hardware, carpet and (later, automatic) column out. I'm taking stock as I go, and so far the car's gonna need a ton of stuff. Next up is the dash.

My goal is to build a nice, fun driver that looks good and goes fast. Handling decently would be nice, too. I'm not looking to build a world-beater, just something I can drive and enjoy.

If anyone wants to see pics of the car before it was vandalized, I have some. Don't laugh too hard, please. I don't have any post-vandalization pics cause for a long time I didn't even want to look at the car...But I decided to stick with it instead of sending it on to a new home or the junkyard.

A hearty welcome to FABO neighbor Josh. Ready for this ? I live directly two blocks south of you.

I posted a link to some pics of the car in the first post.

Thanks for the welcome. :)

bargehead: nice to see someone else from Urbana.

There's plenty of pics posted at the link I put up...Twice. I'm not going to re-post them all here. :)

Thanks again.

bargeahead: it was a pleasure to meet you tonight. Thanks for stopping by and checking out my Valiant. You summed it up quite nicely when you said, "you certainly have your work cut out for you." :D

Welcome to the world's best A body site, Great bunch of tec's and folks here to cheer you on and help when needed

bargeahead: it was a pleasure to meet you tonight. Thanks for stopping by and checking out my Valiant. You summed it up quite nicely when you said, "you certainly have your work cut out for you." :D

Hey J the pleasure was truly mine. VERY cool dog, Titan will love playing with him until the age thing kicks in ( for Titan ). Yep, lotsa work but great foundation, strong 2 dr post. I'm just really stoked to have a FABO friend living two blocks from me :cheers:. When the Humble Bee is done we'll have to burn some tires.

Pulled the gauge cluster tonight. The housing itself is in almost perfect shape, but the finish has gone to hell. For an originally-manual car I'm somewhat surprised there's no tach.

cluster-20100422-01.jpg

Is this thing salvageable? I'm looking at all options here, including just building my own housing (probably out of sheetmetal) and running aftermarket gauges. Anyone have pics of their aftermarket gauge setup?

-
Back