Hello im new here and could use a little help...

-

1972darter

Lets Make tracks
Reaction score
Hello my Forum name is 1972darter. im new to this forum, i just purchased a 1972 dodge dart (possible a swinger though im not really sure). anyway i absolutely love this car and need a little help with finding parts for it.(as well it is wonderful it still has its quirks to be worked out. the guy i purchased it from a guy who wanted to turn it into a drag car so alot of things were taking out and messed with. if someone could please give me some advice on what i should do, i plan to restore it to its almost original looking way(with some exceptions). thank you for taking the time to look.:

Welcome! Some people don't like Ebay, but there are a LOT of parts out there. Also, post ads in the 'Parts Wanted' section of FABO as well as looking through the 'Parts for Sale' forum. Classic Industries in California carries Mopar parts now, and they almost always have at least 15 or 20% off sales going on. They have pretty much the same parts as Year One and are almost always cheaper. Go to Classic Industries' website and sign up for their Email notifications. Some people don't like Classic Industries, but I have had good luck with them.

FIRST thing you need to do is get yourself a factory CHRYSLER service manual for your car. We may possibly have that one on this site as a free download. If not, Ebay has them all the time. I prefer the printed version, simply because it cuts down on mistakes that could have been made during transposing from the book to the CD. Make SURE it is factory CHRYSLER. NOT Haynes. NOT Chiltons or any other garbage. Get the book and look through it. They are very comprehensive.

Welcome aboard!

Welcome aboard, as you can see many great tech's here to help you along, jump on in and enjoy .

Post a picture of your car, in and out as well as underneath. Let's see what you have to start with. Doing a resto on a car is a LOT OF WORK!

(LOL @ Mitch!)

Welcome to FABO.

If there is too much missing, then a good start is to find a comparable parts car...

Here's a link to some free service manual downloads. They don't have the 72 dodge up there yet, but they do have 72 Plymouth - which should be close enough for the mechanical issues... Get some close to your year and model for downloading:

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=109

Welcome to FABO. I have also had good luck with Classic Industries. There is also a salvage yard in AL named Stephens Performance. They specialize in Mopar parts. I don't know how their pricing is but if you give them a call you at least get a 'ballpark pricing' idea of what something is worth. I live in the Detroit area and Mancini Racing is a short drive for me. They have some restoration parts and a tech line. If you're a real 'motorhead' Mike Liston (MRL performance) or Hughes Engines is a good Mopar engine resource. You'll also build your own little network of information as you go. Local is usually the best if the shipping charges cancel out any savings you thought you'd get. You'll get to know a lot of good people and get some good advice (sometime too much). Have fun and share your questions and advice. Good luck with your project.

Wouldn't hurt to decode your fender tag and find out exactly what you are working with.

again, welcome to the site from connecticut. don't forget the pics of the car for us

Attachments

• 027.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 151
  • 001.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 173
  • 054.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 148
Welcome from Fredericksburg, VA. The service manual is a key starting point. Plenty of places to purchase your needs.

Hello my Forum name is 1972darter. im new to this forum, i just purchased a 1972 dodge dart (possible a swinger though im not really sure). anyway i absolutely love this car and need a little help with finding parts for it.(as well it is wonderful it still has its quirks to be worked out. the guy i purchased it from a guy who wanted to turn it into a drag car so alot of things were taking out and messed with. if someone could please give me some advice on what i should do, i plan to restore it to its almost original looking way(with some exceptions). thank you for taking the time to look.:
Well here they are i got another batch of them on the way

Attachments

• IMG_0082.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_0081.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0080.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_0079.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_0078.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_0076.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0075.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0074.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_0073.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_0072.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 104
here some more

Attachments

• IMG_0090.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_0091.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_0092.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_0093.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_0089.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0088.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0087.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_0086.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0084.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_0083.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 97
one more part after this

Attachments

• IMG_0100.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_0101.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_0102.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0104.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0099.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0098.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0097.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0096.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0095.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0094.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 95
the last of the pics

Attachments

• IMG_0105.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_0106.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_0107.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0108.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 99
You have something worth fixing!!!

Time, $$$, & patience.....

Well, we asked for pics, and you certainly gave them to us! Start by making the car safe to drive. Brakes, steering, suspension, lights etc. The cosmetic stuff can come later.

It's like eating an elephant. You do it one bite at a time! There's plenty of us here to help. Good luck on your project.

-
Back