Hellwig Front Sway Bar Install with Pics

-

BrianT

Here we go again...
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody! I talked to FABO member/sponsor Dave@Hellwig THREE years ago, and he recommended the 55906 for my application. I did my research and decided that it was a decent middle of the road bar that a few other members have used. Kinda right in the middle between the cheaper Addco bar and the high end Hotchkiss bars. I don't plan on autocrossing my car, but I would like for it to handle a little bit better than it does now. I have new Monroe shocks, .920 torsion bars, a Firm Feel 20:1 steering box and a completely rebuilt front suspension. I did this on my garage floor with normal hand tools. No lift. The instructions say to install the bar with the weight of the vehicle on the front end not suspended.

I picked up this Hellwig front sway off of eBay for $55 cheaper than I could have bought it at Summit so I decided that it was too good of a deal to pass on. It's a 1 1/8" hollow bar and comes with all of the hardware to bolt to my non-sway bar equipped car. Here's how it looked upon arrival.

IMG_0965_zpsulanqi4c.jpg

The first thing I noticed was that the bar was bigger than I had expected, and even though it is hollow it still seems like it weighs quite a bit. I guess I should have put everything on a scale before getting started to see how much weight I'd actually be adding to my front end, but it's too late now. The second thing I noticed was how heavy duty all of the hardware was. Grade 8 bolts were used throughout and the brackets that mount under the lower shock bolt were very beefy.

Sway%20Bar%20008%20Medium_zpsv9xgwxkl.jpg

I started by mocking up the brackets that bolt to my K member and that's where I hit my first snag. The brackets lined up okay, but the supplied bolts wouldn't fit through the existing holes in my K member. A quick pass with a 3/8" drill bit through the K frame and the holes were good to go. I touched them up with a little spray paint just so they wouldn't start rusting there. You can see the two mounting holes on each side of the front of the K frame. They are on either side of the strut rod.

Sway%20Bar%20009%20Medium_zpskwz5vodj.jpg

I bolted the mounting brackets to the K member but left everything loose per the instructions so that I could wiggle everything around as necessary if needed. Here's the brackets bolted into place.

Sway%20Bar%20010%20Medium_zpsfqgxgksk.jpg

Mounting the bracket to the lower shock bolt was pretty easy. The hardest part was trying to control the expanding gas shock with one hand while trying to push the new bolt/bracket assembly through the hole at the same time. Again, everything was left loose per the instructions.

Sway%20Bar%20012%20Medium_zps8gaia3kw.jpg

The rest was pretty easy also. I put the rubber mounts onto the sway bar approximately where they needed to go as shown in the instructions using the lube provided. I had my sway bar end links, rubber bushings, washers and nuts all ready to go. I mounted the bar loosely to the K member mounts which allowed me to slide the bar side to side as necessary to center it. The rest was just assembling the sway bar end links in the right order. It's all in the instructions and looks something like this when done.

Sway%20Bar%20014%20Medium_zpsgy7dqlt7.jpg

The last step was to go back and torque everything down. Here is one final pic of the bar installed from the top. It should be noted that the nuts for the shock bolts and the sway bar links are self locking nuts that need extra force to tighten down.

Sway%20Bar%20013%20Medium_zps3hlewy68.jpg

Overall, I'd have to give it a 2-3 out of 10 on the difficulty scale. It would have been easier if I'd had someone to help me, or a lift. It took approximately a hour and half to do the job by myself. I hope this helps someone who may be sitting on the fence about installing a sway bar on their car. Unfortunately, I still don't have an engine in my car, so I won't be able to tell you how well it improves the handling characteristics of my car. Hopefully in a couple of months I can update this thread a fill you in on those details.

Nice write up and great pics as well! This ought to help others quite well. I'll be doing the same thing on my wagon except I'll be using the one for any early A.

Great write up and photos, it has put me on the fence

thank you for taking the time

I installed my HellWig front saw bar yesterday to, great minds think alike I guess. Mine was sitting around since last fall, had a nice day yesterday so I figured I would clean up the garage some by installing it. I had to enlarge my K-member bolt holes as well, like you a couple of seconds with a drill took care of that. The only other snag I hit was due to me tightening the L brackets that attach to the lower shock bolt to much before I had everything lined up. I had to go back and loosen everything up, then I was good to go. It sounds like your kit had different hardware than mine did, my kit used locking nut over supplying locktight. I also took the opportunity install my new QA1 single adjustable shocks since I had to take that bottom shock bolt out anyway. I don’t know if you had a chance to take your car out yet but mine was a complete different car. So much more fun to drive now without feeling like I’m going to roll over in tight fast turns.

Oh if anyone is wondering about disk brake fitment I did the Scarbird conversation and had about 1/8 inch of room between my bar and the brake line at full lock. I’m fine with that amount of space so I left my calipers in the front.

It sounds like your kit had different hardware than mine did, my kit used locking nut over supplying locktight.

That caused me some confusion the night before the install because I had everything laid out and some, but not all of the nuts wouldn't start on the threads. Then I read the instructions that said This kit includes lock nuts which require tightening with a wrench after being started by hand. Some of the nuts needed loctite and some of them were lock nuts. Two containers of locking liquid were provided. I guess I should have read the instructions first!

I don’t know if you had a chance to take your car out yet but mine was a complete different car. So much more fun to drive now without feeling like I’m going to roll over in tight fast turns.

Not yet. Like I said my engine is still out, but that is the result I am looking for. Thanks!

Are you sure that they were containers of locking liquid? My kit included 2 tubes of grease for the sway bar bushings.

Interesting? I haven't opened them yet so I'm not sure what was in them. I just re-read the instructions from cover to cover and they aren't mentioned anywhere in them. They say to lubricate the D shaped bushings, but don't say what to use. I was wrong for assuming that was some type of locking fluid.

I'll go back and correct my original post.

Yep, we installed one on our car..

FYI: It is possible to get the center brackes on wrong. If they don't line up right, try switching sides... Don't ask how we found that out.... :banghead:

Have you done the rear Hellwig also? We are trying to get ours on, but it looks like the mounting bolts will interfere with our mufflers.... :banghead:

Interesting? I haven't opened them yet so I'm not sure what was in them. I just re-read the instructions from cover to cover and they aren't mentioned anywhere in them. They say to lubricate the D shaped bushings, but don't say what to use. I was wrong for assuming that was some type of locking fluid.

I'll go back and correct my original post.

They also don't specify exactly where to put them: On the inside of the bushing where the bar goes through, or on the outside where the bracket holds them, Or both???

Also, that stuff looks like dielectric grease, but is very sticky.... Definitely not to be used for "motion lotion".... Why is the "lube" so sticky???

Agree on looking like dielectric grease. I used it just on the inside were the bar slides through and on the inside of the bushing on the bar end links. I’m assuming its so sticky so it sticks and coats rather than washing away the first time you hit a puddle. Same idea behind wheel bearing grease. I only drove a couple of miles around town and I have no squeaks or creaks.

I think Charged has the answer and now that I know it, I get to pull everything back apart and lube everything using the supplied grease. I just coated the inside of bushings with some red wheel bearing grease I had lying around.

I did front and rear on a 67 Dart several years ago. As stated above it's like driving a different car. Way better than before.

Can the Hellwigs be attached to the LCAs with stock mounting tabs or do you have to use their shock brackets?

Great write up. I actually did the same write up about 5-7 years ago when Dave had just finished re-engineering the sway bars. My shop and a few others gave him feedback on how it all went together. I went from no sway bars on my 68 Cuda to just a front and then a front/rear setup. One of the best improvements to date on the car.

FYI, Hotchkis is no better than Hellwig. In fact their design COPIES Hellwig alot. Front and rear. Not saying Hotchkis is bad, just about equal quality.

I would wait till you have an engine in the car before you lube the bushings. Just so the car is sitting like it is going to be when you drive it.

I would wait till you have an engine in the car before you lube the bushings. Just so the car is sitting like it is going to be when you drive it.

I was looking at it yesterday, and pulling everything back apart is still on my to do list. Thanks!

Ok, I'm mounting one right now, it's mounted loosely
I couldn't remember if the bend in the middle went downwards or upwards

17119047691092927466279382769610.jpg

I like the Hellwig bars. I used one on the Duster project that I did for Car Craft

DSC_3865 (Large).JPG

DSC_3618 (Large).JPG

-
Back