Hellwig Sway Bar = WOW! What a difference!!

-
I will be going with a 7/8 rear bar.

Let us know how that goes.

We tried, but couldn't get it to fit with dual exhaust - the mufflers hit the links and bar...

If you figure it out, we would like to put ours on... Let us know...

Let us know how that goes.

We tried, but couldn't get it to fit with dual exhaust - the mufflers hit the links and bar...

If you figure it out, we would like to put ours on... Let us know...

Fits on my Duster with a 2.5" dual exhaust, and I have my springs offset a 1/2" inboard as well. I definitely had to fiddle a bit with the muffler positioning, but it wasn't that bad.

Fits on my Duster with a 2.5" dual exhaust, and I have my springs offset a 1/2" inboard as well. I definitely had to fiddle a bit with the muffler positioning, but it wasn't that bad.

We have stock spring spacing...

Our mufflers are right next to where the dog bone is supposed to go...

We have stock spring spacing...

Our mufflers are right next to where the dog bone is supposed to go...

What brand/model sway bar is it? The only Hellwig 7/8" bar now is actually an e-body bar, 6908, which is what I run. On mine the dog bones are right next to the mufflers, but they clear. I did put a small angle on the mufflers, they aren't quite parallel with the ground.

What brand/model sway bar is it? The only Hellwig 7/8" bar now is actually an e-body bar, 6908, which is what I run. On mine the dog bones are right next to the mufflers, but they clear. I did put a small angle on the mufflers, they aren't quite parallel with the ground.

It's a Hellwig 7/8" I believe...

Huh. Well with an axle hung bar ride height can make a difference. And of course exhaust routing isn't exactly the same from car to car. It's definitely a tight fit on my car.

Is the rear sway bar a "must have"?

I would say the larger front sway bar is a "must have" because the improvement is pretty noticeable. The car is more of a pleasure to drive around corners, freeway on ramps, and stuff.

Is the rear sway bar a "must have"?

I would say the larger front sway bar is a "must have" because the improvement is pretty noticeable. The car is more of a pleasure to drive around corners, freeway on ramps, and stuff.

Depends on the stiffness of your rear springs. You want the car to be balanced though, so unless you're running really stiff rear springs you should be running a rear sway bar in addition to the front sway bar. But a lot goes into that, how stiff the torsion bars are compared to the rear springs, ride height, weight bias, etc.

If you're still running the stock springs out back, then yes, you should absolutely have a rear sway bar on there too in order to match the front. Especially once you upgrade the front torsion bars. Otherwise you'll have a significant imbalance between the front and rear suspension stiffness. Suspension components have to be matched and work together, that goes for the entire car, not just the front.

While my engine was out, I added the Hellwig front bar to my Dart. I've got the .920 torsion bars, six leaf springs out back and cheap Monroe shocks all around. I also added the Firm Feel 20:1 steering box. I can't wait to see the improvement.

Oh yeah, I've got a 500 hp stroker in there now! Should be an interesting first ride.

Top speed at this track was about 160 at the end of the straight.
Isaac @ Riverside - 1971.jpg

-
Back