HELP 10 inch sbp rear drums or modifications to front drums

-

barbee6043

barbee 6043
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
i did the search and got dizzy. looks like cutting down front drums can work... anyone with experience here. what brand drum to use????? goin on 65 273 cuda., manual drum car. ( that was s upposed to have NEW brake s done by PO!?? missing a rear drum! LOL

i did the search and got dizzy. looks like cutting down front drums can work... anyone with experience here. what brand drum to use????? goin on 65 273 cuda., manual drum car. ( that was s upposed to have NEW brake s done by PO!?? missing a rear drum! LOL

That is the only option that I know of. As far as brands, you need to see what is even still available because they are disappearing too. In the past Wagner has always been my favorite but even they are China/import made now.

ya know, I fooled with these old mopars since mid 80's and all the problem with parts.... I got 3 early a bodies, 2 slants and the one 273 car.
these cars have pretty pooro value even restored, . ( just venting i g uess) used to could find a bdy 8 3/4 no problem. now a guy could get 400-500 for one complete. don't see 8 1/4. yea I could make 8 3/4 b body work, but then ya got to get disc or 10 in drom up front and change all whells and tires! LOL no I don't want to use ford and later jeep or mitiscbitchit! LOL
just a rant! I see a 10 in rear drum new on stupid bay f
or $299.99!
someone please tell me why I can't have from drom cutdown to correct width!!!!!
why doesn't anyone have china pop out the sucker, along with all the other crap they make!?????????? LOL
wouldn't pay that if I was wealthy which i'm far from it...

I will pose this question here. I searched but got dizzy lookin at everything but what I was huntin. the 10 in rear drum thing, I see none new anywhere except on stupidbay and I won't give $299 for one.
anyone with experience cutting down the front drum to use as rear???

I see no reason you could not cut drums down. The trick is finding someone who can and will do so. I can, and would, but shipping is a killer. I've got an Ammco disc / drum lathe

If you can find a 8-3/4complete for 500skins you better buy it.chunk alone with posi 350 on the low side,got a good gear 391-410 add a 100plus.axles 50 each.housing another 200.yea her at Carlisle I seen a bunch today.crapy gear and 741 cone posi compleat 700.with shot drums.saw bell type drums like on 70-71 40.00 each.guy had 3.took 2 best,old man had no idea what they fit other than a dodge.and I did not educate him or tell him what there worth but good ones are really tough to find and there no longer available aftermarket.489 posi 450-650 chunk alone!

price of the third member pumkins sure grips is nuts..... may have to start pullin them outta old dodge pickups! LOL
guess it may be my age catchin up with me.... just soon run the 273 with the 7 1/4!! if I had b body8 3/4 CHEAP, I would change the perches and run open pumkin!!! but then I would have to change over to front discs, then have to get 15 in wheels and tires... where would it end!??????????????

Any machine shop with a lathe big enough to chuck up the drums should be able to do this. You do have to be careful of "ring." On the drum lathes, you use a rubber absorber strap.

thanks for the info. I have a friend that thinks he has some used ones and another member that has some after changing over to bbp.
we have local country machinist, I will check with him to see what it would take and if can/ will do it. he charges $40/hr.

I was going to cut the single "snow lip" off some front 10" SBP drums I have (easy to get) to use on the rear, as others have. Note: some have two lips so 2x the work. My plan was to bolt the drum outward on my rear axle, run the car in "R" so it spins slow and cut using a hacksaw. The spinning helps make a square cut. "Should Work" - they'll put that on my headstone. No need now since I lucked across some good 10" SBP rear drums at a local show and they guy didn't rape me ($40/pr I recall).

You can fix these cars cheap like me. Just be patient and not too quick to write a big check to companies with yellow or red products.

-
Back