[WANTED] HELP !! 1966 Dart Convertible -HELP !!

-
Status
Not open for further replies.

waternwavs

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
HELP !! 1966 Dart Convertible -HELP !!
Short story and to the point - I need a Title (and hopefully a VIN tag) for a 1966 Dodge Dart GT Convertible.
Maybe a '65 but it definitely needs to be for a convertible. Read on if you'd like to know why.

Here's my story - yes..it's true and it sucks to be me

Bought a resto-project car 3 years ago at the swap meet. First mistake
Got all the extra parts and even the title. Everything started out glorious. My first MOPAR convertible and I was psyched .

My buddy does bodywork, welding, and mechanical and agreed to work on it with me nights/week-ends at a "discount rate" (plus beer!). We started dis-assembling, ordering LOTS of new parts, sent out the engine for rebuild, cutting, grinding, welding, bondo, sanding...you know the drill.
Probably put about 200 hours in the car already and thought to myself...maybe I should go to DMV and get this thing titled in my name.

That's when my nightmare began. I thought I had what appeared to be a "clean title" from PA. Little did I know that NJ has this really Big computer that saves everything in it. It "remembered" that way back in 1987 this poor old car got impounded for being abandoned in a parking lot in northern NJ. The police in turn ordered what they call a "junk title"
(for $3 !!) and sent my baby off to lala land to never be seen again. The guy that wound up with this project car for him and his son didn't know any of this. He just got a car that needed a title and some work. He ordered the title from Alabama..and whammo...titled in PA free and clear for him. I bought the car from someone that bought it from him and was "flipping it". Now I'm screwed because NJ still "sees" this car in their computer system as "JUNK". Can't fight with the state (I tried !!). Director of DMV, State police investigator, etc. No dice.
They suggested that I try to put it through as a "salvage vehicle" which I believe they create a new VIN or something like that. Don't wanna try and jump through those hoops.
I really want to have a real MOPAR tag on this car. It deserves it.

So I now own a car that can be registered and titled in 49 other states...just not mine. Sucks to be me. I really want to drive this baby. I continued to work on this car and it's becoming one gorgeous ride. I know one of you guys that reads this is going to suggest moving out of state and I have considered it. Trying this route first.

Any one know of a "parts car" with a title (and maybe a door tag).
Bone Yard, friends back yard, anything ?

Any help would be appreciated.
Fellow MOPAR guy.
Tim

Totally illegal!!!!!!!

Uh, no...it's actually completely legal. If no part of his current car is on the National Hot Sheet, all he is doing in the eyes of the law are transferring his parts over to that Title and Tag. As far as the Feds are concerned, a car only exists in the form of Title and Tag unless it contains known stolen parts.

I have no idea about NJ, but getting a salvage title here in California is easier than what you are attempting to do. AND, yes it is seen as illegal. It's called VIN tampering. There is the gray area about a car built around a VIN tag, but this is not what you are proposing. A salvage title here also retains the original VIN, if it is present.

VIN Tampering is a charge that is used in conjunction with the intent to deceive for criminal purposes. He's not doing anything of the sort.
Envelope cars have existed since the dawn of the title, and they are completely legal in the eyes of the Federal government. Again, the car ONLY exists to them in the form of a Title and matching tag. 100% of the surrounding metal is subject to be changed due to wear and or damage. It really is that simple!

Envelope cars have existed since the dawn of the title, and they are completely legal in the eyes of the Federal government. Again, the car ONLY exists to them in the form of a Title and matching tag. 100% of the surrounding metal is subject to be changed due to wear and or damage. It really is that simple!

I agree that if he took my 65 Dart convertible carcass with a valid, legal Virginia title and the original VIN tag still attached to the door jam, fender tag still attached to the inner fender and attached his 66 parts to the carcass, it would be legal and the car would still be a 65 Dart convertible with 66 Dart parts attached to it. However; taking the 65 VIN tag off the carcass and attaching it to his 66 Dart and then registering it with my valid title, I don't think that is quite the same. Of course, if he bought what's left of my convertible carcass with all the tags and paperwork, anything that happens later, well that's up to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back