Help! 360 with 302 heads no compression

-

victa15

Reaction score
This isnt a abody. But i have a 92 dodge d250 with a la 360 in it. The heads were cracked so i took them off and put on a fresh set of 302 casting heads on it. Everything is in tge truck now. It cranks but cranks fast. I checked compression and the dial doesnt even move.

Is that on all cylinders? Pull the valve covers and check for the valves sticking open. Was it just a head swap or have they been milled? It sounds like the push rods are too long and the rockers are not allowing the valves to shut. Also, was any other engine work done?

I took off the valve covers and saw them moving. All the cylinders have no compression. I put new stock 360 push rods in. The 302 heads were redone right before i put them in.

I took off the valve covers and saw them moving. All the cylinders have no compression. I put new stock 360 push rods in. The 302 heads were redone right before i put them in.
Well of course they are going to move. The big question is are they closing?

Im going to check in the morning. Thanks. Do you know if 318 and 360 have different push rod lengths. I thought they were all the same

Im going to check in the morning. Thanks. Do you know if 318 and 360 have different push rod lengths. I thought they were all the same
They should be the same if they are hyd cams. But roller engines has different lengths. I can't remember if they were longer or shorter.

Last edited:
It's more about past services on the head, gasket thickness, valves stem height increases with valve jobs and not all will cut the stem height back to factory tolerance.

Heads milled
Valves faced/ground
Seats ground
Gasket maybe thinner

All that equates to... is the necessity of a shorter push rod.

The heads are stock. The block is a roller block. Doesnt have roller lifters.

The heads are stock. The block is a roller block. Doesnt have roller lifters.
Then the seats aren't sealing or you have too long push rods. Before you come back and reply, go check that **** so you know what you're talking about and looking at.

If my memory serves the roller pushrods are shorter is there any way you are using roller lifters with hyd pushrods?

Maybe the heads have been milled?

What.......exactly..........did you change between the two engine "builds?"

Heads?
Rockers/ arms?
pushrods?

If all you changed is the heads, then the heads are milled, or has oddball valve stem height

This is what it looked like when I first took it apart. It had 4 bent pushrods. The heads were so gunked up with lacquer and carbon that i have to tap out the valves with a hammer. Once cleaned I saw the heads all have cracks between the valves. Its a 92 dodge truck that is a roller motor with non roller rockers. I had a set of 302 heads that are fresh. I put them on and get regular la push rods. I didnt know there was a difference between the lengths. I only had built older la motors before.

20181017_161535.jpg

On the motor when i took it apart all the valves were stuck solid

This is what it looked like when I first took it apart. It had 4 bent pushrods. The heads were so gunked up with lacquer and carbon that i have to tap out the valves with a hammer. Once cleaned I saw the heads all have cracks between the valves. Its a 92 dodge truck that is a roller motor with non roller rockers. I had a set of 302 heads that are fresh. I put them on and get regular la push rods. I didnt know there was a difference between the lengths. I only had built older la motors before.

View attachment 1715298682

.That has roller lifters in it.
Go to oreillys an get pushrods for a 92 360.
If your lucky you didn't bend any valves but you probably did.

Last edited:
.That has roller lifters in it.
Go to oreillys an get pushrods for a 92 360.
If your lucky you didn't bend any valves but you probably did.
I originally got a set for a 92 360. But i have to check and make sure they didnt give me for the wrong year

Damn sam. You need to learn about what you're workin on.

With the looks of that motor, you have more issues than bad heads. All rusty, bent push rods, valves all stuck in the heads, What do you suppose the rings look like? They are probably all stuck to the piston. Some may even be broken. Pull out a piston, and take a picture of It. Would like to see what that looks like.

With the looks of that motor, you have more issues than bad heads. All rusty, bent push rods, valves all stuck in the heads, What do you suppose the rings look like? They are probably all stuck to the piston. Some may even be broken. Pull out a piston, and take a picture of It. Would like to see what that looks like.
^^^^^This^^^^^^^
If you like I can show you pictures of the inside of my 318 that was far less worse than that one. I had severe pitting issues and my rings was clogged close in the piston.

This isnt a abody. But i have a 92 dodge d250 with a la 360 in it. The heads were cracked so i took them off and put on a fresh set of 302 casting heads on it. Everything is in tge truck now. It cranks but cranks fast. I checked compression and the dial doesnt even move.
Check your timing chain. Since it had 4 bent push rods before you took the heads off.

I put a new timing chain on it. Had to put a chain tensioner on it.

20181101_123821.jpg

-
Back