help/64 cuda automatic

-

Garry

Reaction score
The steering column under the hood before the gear box had a boot on it, I am sure because there are still pieces of it hanging on. where will I find a new one? also where can I find good as original door & trunk seals?

I made my own out of inner tube. It would be sheer luck to find an NOS one. The later coupler kits don't have the correct one for that year. As for trunk and door seals, I've seen many aftermarket ones for sale on E-bay and the normal Mopar restoration vendors.

Hey thanks cudamark You are the only one that I have spoken with that even know what I am talking about, & I have called a lot of suppliers and vendors. I am all about original, Have any idea what it looked like? do you think it looked like what you made or do you think it might have been ribbed and more ridged? (like the trunion boot on the drive shaft.)

Hey thanks cudamark You are the only one that I have spoken with that even know what I am talking about, & I have called a lot of suppliers and vendors. I am all about original, Have any idea what it looked like? do you think it looked like what you made or do you think it might have been ribbed and more ridged? (like the trunion boot on the drive shaft.)
Well, I thought I did but after seeing the link grimreaper posted, I may be wrong as to which one you're looking for. I thought you needed the rubber boot in the steering coupler. The original ones have some ridges that will allow all kinds of flexing of that joint. The ones I've made out of inner tube don't, but it doesn't seem to matter a whole lot since the shaft isn't moving forward and backward to any great extent. If you need the column tube seal, they're available new from many restoration sources for around $35-40.

Well look for me soon about this I am going to get help posting a picture of what I am talking about. Not sure I can do it myself. Kinda new on this computer thing. Still stuck in the sixties.

Thats right brother. Square as Spongebob. has a unique spring too, that wave plate (2) goes between the shoe and the shaft, unlike the single piece C spring of later models.
DSC00392.JPG

that dust seal..I found the little plastic ring in my column and could not tell what the heck it was from. Try shrink tubing. slip over shaft and column, grease shaft and apply heat. Itll shrink around the column and shrink down to the OD of the shaft but shouldnt grip because of the grease. Ill try it when Im ready but have used the stuff before in the field

-
Back