Help! 65 Valiant, may have screwed up my shift cables bad

-

wh23g3g

Reaction score
I was changing the gaskets on the steering column and I had to disconnect the shift cable and park cable at the transmission. I've got the original 65 Plymouth Valiant repair manual from Chrysler and I thought it would help. It wasn't as easy as it appeared. On the shift cable I took the adjustment screw and tried to get the smallest screwdriver I could find in the hole to pry on the spring. But I couldn't any screwdriver in the hole because the cable didn't come out as far as it did in the illustration. Well it looked different than the one in the illustration because it was threaded so I tried turned the housing a little more and pulled on it one good time and it pulled all the way out. I thought I had it, but at the end of the cable I only saw the wire end with the arrow head lug on it. The metal sleeve to the cable is still plugged inside the transmission. I know it doesn't look right. Is this suppose to be like that? I put it back in and put the screw back in, but I don't know if it will shift anymore until I get it started. On the Park lock cable it was worse. It might have been easier if I could've gotten the access plug out but the first allen head I stuck in the access plug to loosen it rounded it out so much I couldn't get anything else in. So I disconnected the entire cover and took it off. But the wire end of the spring came out of the parking pawl. Is it going to work now if I can get it back in? The access plug is probably a 1/8" NPT plug. What can I use to try and get it out now that the allen head is rounded out?

I was changing the gaskets on the steering column and I had to disconnect the shift cable and park cable at the transmission. I've got the original 65 Plymouth Valiant repair manual from Chrysler and I thought it would help. It wasn't as easy as it appeared. On the shift cable I took the adjustment screw and tried to get the smallest screwdriver I could find in the hole to pry on the spring. But I couldn't any screwdriver in the hole because the cable didn't come out as far as it did in the illustration. Well it looked different than the one in the illustration because it was threaded so I tried turned the housing a little more and pulled on it one good time and it pulled all the way out. I thought I had it, but at the end of the cable I only saw the wire end with the arrow head lug on it. The metal sleeve to the cable is still plugged inside the transmission. I know it doesn't look right. Is this suppose to be like that? I put it back in and put the screw back in, but I don't know if it will shift anymore until I get it started. On the Park lock cable it was worse. It might have been easier if I could've gotten the access plug out but the first allen head I stuck in the access plug to loosen it rounded it out so much I couldn't get anything else in. So I disconnected the entire cover and took it off. But the wire end of the spring came out of the parking pawl. Is it going to work now if I can get it back in? The access plug is probably a 1/8" NPT plug. What can I use to try and get it out now that the allen head is rounded out?

If you are having that much trouble, take off the pan. It will be very obvious on how to remove the shift cable. It will also be very easy to adjust it when the pan is off.
If you rounded out the park cable access plug, about all you can do is use an easy out.

So if I remove the pan will it make it easier to remove the shift cable or just easier to see what I'm doing? Of the two cables I think the one I messed up was the shift cable. Is there a source for them anywhere besides Year One where they cost $325? Now that I've messed this up all for trying to get the new steering column gasket on I'm probably just going to remove the whole column again and rebuild the coupler and hopefully I won't have to remove the shifter cables from the column it looks difficult.

-
Back