Help! Accidentally removed power steering pressure valve

-

Dartness

Reaction score
63 dart 170. Was Trying to rebuild power steering pump and removed the pressure relief valve. I didnt know I wasnt supposed to. Is there a way to set it properly or am I out of luck? Its a Federal or TRW. Not sure but seems to look more like a TRW

This is a *****.
I've done it myself.
The only way I was to resolve it was to start the engine (very low idle) and have somebody hold the wheel straight and adjust the screw until it doesn't pull to one side or other.

Again, it is not easy. It takes many tries to where you feel comfortable with it operating normally.

And then, do it again.
And maybe one more time to make sure.

If you have never delt with this, trust me, you don't want to.

D.

Also, if you have all front suspension in tact, it will make things a lot easier.
The pull on wheel from pressure is really strong.

But with suspension and wheels on will make it much easier to adjust.

D.

But the screw is inside of the reservoir....so how can it be adjusted while installed?

But the screw is inside of the reservoir....so how can it be adjusted while installed?

You loosen the valve body on the top of the steering gear and use a small ball peen hammer to lightly tap it up or down until it doesn't drift to one side or the other...

I guess I'm not capable enough to do this. I dont understand what's being said. The pressure relief valve is inside the pump reservoir. But you are saying to adjust the valve body on top of the steering box. Am I misunderstanding?

Screw the pressure regulator back in the reservoir and tighten it down. Then reinstall the pressure line. Done.

No one else seems to know what you are talking about here.

The pressure relief valve should just pop in there with no screwing necessary. The fitting is the retainer. Just pop the spring back in there, jam it in and thread the fitting back on. PAGE 82 PIC 6
[ame]http://www.moparaction.com/Tech/beep/PUMP_IT_DOWN-re-v1.4.pdf[/ame]

I thought I just said that. lol

Sorry, thought you were talking about power steering gear BOX adjustments. My bad.

Maybe it's called a Control Valve? Sorry, I dont know anything about this and I'm trying to learn. Also, my local parts stores all say they have issues sending parts out for reman. They say it's a 50/50 chance you'll get the correct part back, then you're out a core for rebuild. Anyway, pic included this time. Yellow arrow is what I'm talking about.

Attachments

• received_1241204745908628-1.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 314
I pulled a valve out of a 73+ junk Duster ps pump at a local scap yard - had 3 shims in the pressure relief valve. Took the one out of the 72 I was working on which had no shims. Put one shim in and reinstalled, steering still felt a little sloppy. Repeat procedure to install a second shim and the steering feel tigthened up, but then the slop in the steering box was much more noticeable. Bought a manual box, now the power setup is on my garage floor. I never ran into the floating / self steering issue some guys talk about on here.

Not to steel the thread, But I might be having a similar issue like you did but maybe you can tell me if yours was doing the same... On my 74 dodge dart sport the steering is sensitive! Like It doesn't take much to turn the wheel when driving. By adding shims would this help fix how sensitive it is? Its pretty smooth other than that but its almost snaky when driving. (Upper & Lower ball joints replaces, Bushings, idler, pitman, and tie rods have been replaced)

-
Back