help and options highly needed on single stage

-

63VALIANT*KISS

Reaction score
my cars are looking really shabby and recently i had a child on 1/11/13 so money is tight and questions need awnsers.....

i am really wanting to try my paint skills on the aspen first to warm up for the valiant as more is needed there is bondo from previous owners not much but it should have been sanded better before they painted it it has some lumps that are on seemingly easy flat spots to go off reference.

that said my skills are mediocre to novice allot of interior with rattle can and sem but not much gun work, the aspen is in really poor looking shape paint wise the chrome is immaculate and interior looks decent paint is now faded to a pink and I'm sick of it.i think i want to start by painting the hood hot rod black single stage how much would it take to paint the hood with 2 maybe three coats after a heavy coat of primer either rattle can or red oxide through the gun and sanded between,

hows this sound am i missing anything and what brands would be best?

is duplicolor paint shop worth it its only 20bucks a quart is that enough for the hood? i just want it to look better final out come bad or orange peeled would it buff out?

more questions to come sorry for bad typing grammar.

TURNS OUT DUPLICOLOR IS BC/CC ASWELL PAINT GUY LET ME KNOW THATS HOW NEW TO PAINT I AM LOL .

Not sure on the DupliColor. I think I would stay away from it. Napa has descent single stage paint at a good price. A quart should be more than enough to paint just the hood. I am no expert. I have only painted one car in basecoat/clearcoat. It came out fairly good for my first paint job. I picked up several books recommended on this site and read them. I practiced on some old metal I had. Set up my spray pattern like the books showed and just layed it down. It does take skill to get a car show finish. Mine is not:) I did end up with orange peel in the clear and had to wetsand, buff, and polish it out. Never shot single stage, Can't be too hard. Just read alot, practice, and get er done. Good luck.

PS: Inferior equipment will make life hell, If you choose to skimp make sure it's not on the equipment.

Id go to Napa and get their line of paints. They can mix it as a single stage, it sprays nice and not much orange peel. A quart is plenty for a hood. We have many cars done with the napa paints and they look great.

napa paints I'm wondering if our napa does that I'm now talking to the guy that told me he has 30yrs exp in bodywork and he didn't knock the idea of using tractor fleet primer and paint then adding the dye to the tractor single stage white or so on. i am just wondering ...........i have some decent eqt i would say its a red binks m1g hvlp/2hp 10gallon compressor i used to shoot a car before but had orange peel all over i am determined just worried

i can get nassin at 300 bucks for paint primer and everything else needed not including tape etc.

anyone ever used the 50 dollar a gallon rust destroyer primer before i says guaranteed for 5 years no rust it comes like house paint ready to spray or brush it says.

before i get too ahead of myself napa has a epoxy primer that they said there paint expert said is 1cup to a gallon of paint???????does that seem right 16-1 per quart?

its 55bucks and i called a DuPont store to ask them and they said it may be industrial think and i would need to bet a primer nozzle 1.7 or have them check the thickness and they could tell me a better ratio to mix at for my Bink's only has he said prolly a bc/cc single stage nozzle. any answers here please would help 530 is latest i can tell them to have it by tomorrow.

You could use an industrial urethane that is designed to be applied with a roller. Rusteoleum makes some very durable paints and primers that are designed to be rolled on. You would have to wet sand and buff afterwards. When I say say durable I mean paint that is capable of surviving on an offshore oil rig.

I have a friend that owns a successful bodyshop and he says that all of their sanding primers are applied with a roller because it cuts down on fumes and overspray.

r u talking about the gallons at ace hardware and stuff the rust preventer red iron oxide paint? the only thing is i want it to be water resistant like epoxy primer till i paint it with the single stage.

BC/CC is easier to lay, and fix before clear and has better repair ability.

Used to mix Napa/ Martin Senour ,for years. I usually do a single stages,for beginners on a budget. The two concerns:1 ,fixing thebodywork.2, does it have to metallic? If metallic,absolutley go base/clear. If you can deal with a single non metallic color,Napa Crossfire kicks ***. Lays down,like the older Centauri paints(Dupont).Price is climbing ,though.Check out ,www.tcpglobal.com. Freight is sky high now,,personally would use the local NAPA,if a paint smart person works there.Nason,not bad either......

nason that it knew i was spelling it wrong. I'm going to primer sealer the car piece by piece my body guy that does tons of hot rods around here did the work on my valiant he told me to primer seal piece by piece then sand when I'm ready to paint the single stage and get nason cus its user friendly and he says it sprays great and wet sand buff and the guys at DuPont said with the nason single stage it will last for years they said it would last maybe 12-16yrs if i wax it monthly and everything.

i used shopline 2k primer and interlux brightside paint, under $500 and it came out ok.

Attachments

• autofest 014_1.JPG
    133.3 KB · Views: 382
  • may26,2012 011_1.JPG
    147.8 KB · Views: 379
i used shopline 2k primer and interlux brightside paint, under $500 and it came out OK.

Ur car looks great in the picks r u not happy with it? i would be ecstatic if my car came close to that Ive never had a decent or halfway decent paint job really ........ did u use the aerosol cans?

the hot rod black that could be a shop job ima talk to this one guy that asked me if i wanted my car painted he works at a reputable shop i was thinking of having him do the hood.id do the car im scared of black cause it shows evreything..

Ur car looks great in the picks r u not happy with it? i would be ecstatic if my car came close to that Ive never had a decent or halfway decent paint job really ........ did u use the aerosol cans?

No, I'm very happy with it considering it was my first paint job. I used an hvlp gun with a 1.4 tip, it had some orange peel and a couple runs so I blocked it with 1500 then 2000 grit wet, then cut it with 3M cutting compound. It's not perfect but for a driver it looks great. Also the brightside paint has high UV protection (its for boats after all) and it's hard as granite when it cures.

my cars are looking really shabby and recently i had a child on 1/11/13 so money is tight and questions need awnsers.....

i am really wanting to try my paint skills on the aspen first to warm up for the valiant as more is needed there is bondo from previous owners not much but it should have been sanded better before they painted it it has some lumps that are on seemingly easy flat spots to go off reference.

that said my skills are mediocre to novice allot of interior with rattle can and sem but not much gun work, the aspen is in really poor looking shape paint wise the chrome is immaculate and interior looks decent paint is now faded to a pink and I'm sick of it.i think i want to start by painting the hood hot rod black single stage how much would it take to paint the hood with 2 maybe three coats after a heavy coat of primer either rattle can or red oxide through the gun and sanded between,

hows this sound am i missing anything and what brands would be best?

is duplicolor paint shop worth it its only 20bucks a quart is that enough for the hood? i just want it to look better final out come bad or orange peeled would it buff out?

more questions to come sorry for bad typing grammar.

TURNS OUT DUPLICOLOR IS BC/CC ASWELL PAINT GUY LET ME KNOW THATS HOW NEW TO PAINT I AM LOL .

Money is tight everywhere....go figger.....

Keep this in mind.
1. Rubbing, and buffing does not work on Satin or AKA Hot Rod Black. it makes it shine. No repairing it. It is what it is.
2. Duplicolor is best kept for the kiddie toys that stay in the house and garage.
3. Satin black does not show every flaw. That's one reason many ppl choose to shoot a car with it.
4. Two part primers and paint is the only way to go IMO. forget laquer.

For a straight hood with decent paint you can clean, scuff, seal and shoot wet on wet. The underside of the hood can be the practice side if you please and stretch it into 2 sessions if you please. if not I suggest you find a practice panel before attempting the real deal. If ya wanna do it in 1 session hang it up after washing and scuffing

Ok...Go to pivco.com or autobodytoolmart and get a qt setup of Kirker Black Enduro Epoxy Primer.
Buy a gallon setup of Kirker Urethane Hot Rod Black. Get the right temp activator. there is only 2 medium and slow. Both should be around 125-150 tops to the door and will do both sides of the hood with leftovers.

After the hood has been cleaned with dish soap and dried wipe down with some W&G Remover. No duplicolor garbage. Local jobber.
Let dry. Scuff. Rewipe W&G Remover. Let dry. Tack Rag it lightly while blowing off. Shoot 1-2 med wet coats epoxy, depending on how the first covers, let flash for 30 minutes between coats. Wait 30-60 min. Denib lightly if needed. Shoot 2 coats Hot Rod Black with proper flash.

In prep I scuff under hoods with grey scotchbrite and/or 320. Shoot with a 1.3 or 1.4 tip. If it don't lay down with a cheap gun you might have to reduce it. Just read the tech sheets and don't over reduce.

One coat unreduced Kirker epoxy and 2 coats Kirker Hot Rod Black in this pic....

Attachments

• tommy under hood hot rod black.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 312
Check out this SEM hot rod black .Its a urethane single stage paint. i used it to paint a buddies Sportster a few years ago and its holding up great. here's a link:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/smm-hr010?seid=google&gclid=CPnNqf26u7UCFfBDMgodaxAAXQ

I've used the SEM Hot Rod Black a few times. I bought it in a kit which came with a quart of paint and the proper amount of reducer and activator. I think the last time I bought it the price was about $60 for a kit. One kit will do a hood.

Below is a pic of an old truck I shot with it. Hot Rod Black covers a multitude of flaws. This truck is rougher than a pig turd covered in cornmeal but it doesn't look too bad. It has bad hail damage, places where dents were pounded out with a sack of walnuts, bondoed over rust spots, you get the idea. I sanded it with a d/a just to knock the surface rust and flaky primer off of it. I sealed it with some black sealer, then shot it with 2 quarts of the SEM. Not only was that enough to do the outside but I shot under the hood, the inner fenders, and inside the doors, too.
Dallas

Attachments

• '74 truck (Small).jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 316
-
Back