*HELP* best way to cut/assemble SS braided fuel line ??**

-

mopar66

Reaction score
this is my first time working with this stuff >> need some help PLEASE ...
just looking for some tips/advice on the best way to cut/deburr the SS braided fuel line so it assembles into the -AN hose fittings well ...
* i tape the section to be cut, and then cut through the tape to try and minimize the braid seperating ..
* i have tried a fine-tooth hack saw
* i have tried a cut-off wheel on a die grinder

no matter how careful i am when cutting, the SS braiding seems to unravel/spread enough to make it virtually impossible to squeeze into the ID of the fitting; not to mention the fact that it rips the end of your fingers up :) ... i have tried to snip off the frayed pieces, but that doesn't go very well ..

any help from people that have done this often and have found a way that works well for them will be GREATLY appreciated ...

thanks

wrap as tight as you can get it with electrical tape, use a dremel, chop saw, or air cutter blade and cut in the middle of the tape wrap. This is my method

Large, sharp chisel and a solid whack with a hammer and its done. Make sure you hit it straight and clean.

There's the Koul Tool to help with fabricating hoses.

Yup. Abrasive cut-off wheel. If you don't have a grinder, etc to use, you can get these wheels that you can fit to a table or circular saw, AKA "Skillsaw"

I have always wrapped it with electrical tape-3 wraps nice and tight and then I use I greenlee cable cutter, has worked the best for me!

Attachments

• cable.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 301
I have always wrapped it with electrical tape-3 wraps nice and tight and then I use I greenlee cable cutter, has worked the best for me!
X2! This little holding fixture is also a big help.
Larry

Attachments

• may 003.JPG
    107.2 KB · Views: 295
THANKS for the replies !

one more quick question > do you leave the tape on after you cut .. or do you remove it before putting on the fitting ? ?

thanks again ..

i use duct tape wrapped tight. then a cutoff wheel in a dremel.

tape has to come off before inserting, you dont have too much clearance in the fittings usually.

The end of the fitting that goes over the hose first has some coarse threads inside. That will help to thread the fitting over the braided cover. Be sure the hose is fully bottomed in that fitting before you try and thread in the inside half. Use a little Sil Glide or light oil to lube the inside of the hose and the inner fitting. this will aid in the install. Good luck!
Larry

no matter how you cut it. ALWAYS BLOW IT OUT WITH COMPRESSED AIR!!!!!!!!!

when i plumbed my car with the braided line. i used the cut off wheel with my dremel. cut super nice. i blew it all out prior to assembly. when i had it all done i unhooked the fuel line at the carb and pumped fuel thru the lines into a coffee can with a coffee filter. you wouldnt believe how much crap came out of the brand new lines.

THANKS EVERYBODY for all the great information and tips !

no matter how you cut it. ALWAYS BLOW IT OUT WITH COMPRESSED AIR!!!!!!!!!

when i plumbed my car with the braided line. i used the cut off wheel with my dremel. cut super nice. i blew it all out prior to assembly. when i had it all done i unhooked the fuel line at the carb and pumped fuel thru the lines into a coffee can with a coffee filter. you wouldnt believe how much crap came out of the brand new lines.

True, I do the same. Ran fuel into a can before hooked to carb.

Yup I have done my share of fighting, cussing, prick my fingers with the braiding. I found the system that works best for me was to use black tape nice and tight, then use a Dremel cut off wheel. Take the tape off before you assemble the fitting taking it off from the the long end of the hose carefully while not letting the end fray.

I just use my teef

jaws.jpg

Plenty of good suggestions. I use the tape and small cut off wheel method

Couldn't resist!
Saw Moonraker at the theater in 79! I was 11!
Larry

Attachments

• Moonraker_Dolly.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 201
I usually put a dab of anti-seize on the threads of the fitting before I screw it together.

-
Back