Help build my magnum engine.

-

78kitcar

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey folks,
I'm looking for opinions/suggestion on my magnum build. First things first, this is my very 1st time so please go easy on me. This is what i'm starting with

97 5.9 magnum motor standard bore

Stock cast crank that i had checked for straightness and polished

340 connecting rods (I've been told 340 rods are forged and will work in my build??)

Diamond pistons... see link http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=191940

Heads i would like to use these...http://www.indyheads.com/lax.html
Was going to buy them complete but after some research folks are saying buy them bare ...why i dont know. Also hearing indys customer service SUCKS!! (opinions anyone).

Also would consider Hughes heads. either set will be drilled for La manifold

As for cam rockers and everything else I DON'T KNOW!!!

I'm going with a 4speed.

Package is going in my 67 barracuda
Mainly street driven seeing track time once/twice a year. would be happy with 12 second times.

Sorry I'm all over the place but I'm a :newb:

Thanks for the help guys and gals!!

If those piston are 1.584 in height they would sit 0.100" below deck will be hard to build decent compression even with closed chamber heads and for cam new or reground high lift hydraulic roller 268 to 274ish with 1.6 roller rockers.

Great! Well i just sent one of the pistons back to diamond per one of the techs request.He's going to measure and tell me the correct application. When i bought them i was told they were 2 years old..turns out they're about 15 years old. I may be starting over again!! Thanks for the info.

Depends on how fast you want to go, or whatever.

I like the Hughes Iron Rams:

http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/...HM=&searchmode=partnumber&page=2&partid=25426

My car does pretty well with them, and you can get them with 2.02 valves also.

I'd get a custom camshaft from someplace reputable. Comp did mine.

RPM Air Gap seems to be the go-to choice. Just make sure you get the Edelbrock and not the POS chinese thing.

I calculated possible compression 58cc chambers and thin head gasket would get ya 9.5:1.

I calculated possible compression 58cc chambers and thin head gasket would get ya 9.5:1.

Wow! Did you click the link for the pistons! He says 9.5:1 to 11.0:1
What do i do to get the 11.0:1 comp?

If you're going to use those pistons be sure to have the correct deck height. My LA block was all over the place. One more thing, use light weight rods and pistons. I've been told the Magnum counterweights are lighter then the LA's. I have both cranks and used the LA for my build. They took weight off the crank, it's expensive to add weight.

Depends on how fast you want to go, or whatever.

I like the Hughes Iron Rams:

http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/...HM=&searchmode=partnumber&page=2&partid=25426

My car does pretty well with them, and you can get them with 2.02 valves also.

I'd get a custom camshaft from someplace reputable. Comp did mine.

RPM Air Gap seems to be the go-to choice. Just make sure you get the Edelbrock and not the POS chinese thing.

I've heard good things about those iron rams. I'll look into them Thanks.
I've read about your build and i want your motor!! LOL

LXguy has one of the best running basic Magnum builds you'll find anywhere. He's your best friend right now...........

You will definately want to make sure the piston choice is right. You can use flat tops, but my first choice would be KB362s for cost, reliability, and ability to build in tight quench for the Magnum heads. Have the block blueprinted and set the static compression around 9.4:1. Then put a decent cam (something like the HR268HR-10 Comp) in it. With an Air Gap and 750cfm carb you'll be making some decent reliable power.

I've heard good things about those iron rams. I'll look into them Thanks.
I've read about your build and i want your motor!! LOL

Hey:

Thanks!

FWIW my shortblock is all stock and my pistons are .050 in the hole, pretty uniformly, which is different than the LA stuff. LOL

With a 58cc chamber and the skinny head gaskets I calculated my compression at about 9.25:1 with the dish in the stock pistons.

I imagine if you had flat tops and decked the block you could make the compression pretty insane in a hurry.

You will definately want to make sure the piston choice is right. You can use flat tops, but my first choice would be KB362s for cost, reliability, and ability to build in tight quench for the Magnum heads. Have the block blueprinted and set the static compression around 9.4:1. Then put a decent cam (something like the HR268HR-10 Comp) in it. With an Air Gap and 750cfm carb you'll be making some decent reliable power.

You mean XR268HR-10?

Great! Well i just sent one of the pistons back to diamond per one of the techs request.He's going to measure and tell me the correct application. When i bought them i was told they were 2 years old..turns out they're about 15 years old. I may be starting over again!! Thanks for the info.

Well....i got the phone call from the fella a diamond pistons and i wish i hadn't!! lol. Turns out the the Brand new pistons i bought are nothing more than paper weights!!! I guess someone milled off the top of the dome making it a flat top ( i think that's what he said) and in the process of milling the clamp bent the skirts!! So it looks like i'm starting over!! Any suggestions on new pistons?? I still have the stock magnum's i could clean and re-ring but i figured for the money why not get new one's. Any suggestions?? How are the KB107's and will they work with my stock 340 rod??

Thx

-
Back