Help calm my nerves

-

straightlinespeed

Sometimes I pretend to be normal
Reaction score
So Im finally ready to install the tail stripe on my Scamp. Im nervous as heck to tell you the truth. I've been told to use lots of soapy water, similar to installing window tint. As long as its wet it will slide, until you squeegee it out.. Although I have no starting point or measurements and I have yet to find any. Is this as hard as Im anticipating? I just dont want to mess it up.

Easy as can be. Install it in the shade and keep it WET.

Take your time, follow the instructions and you will be fine. Measure, use some masking tape to hold it in place, water with a drop or two of soap and you will have no problems. I am sure if you google stripe installation you will get lots of good tips. I was concerned before doing the black stripes on the Dart Sport below, but they came out great.

Attachments

• newstripes 004.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 324
Easy as can be. Install it in the shade and keep it WET.

Good Advice about the shade, thanks!

Take your time, follow the instructions and you will be fine. Measure, use some masking tape to hold it in place, water with a drop or two of soap and you will have no problems. I am sure if you google stripe installation you will get lots of good tips. I was concerned before doing the black stripes on the Dart Sport below, but they came out great.

Instructions?? What instructions LOL. My stripe didnt come with any, but you also had a good point about google. Thanks!

Yeah, it is amazing what is on youtube. Anytime I have a job to do on an appliance, late model vehicle, whatever, I google it, and there is usually a helpful video or set of instructions.

Here's what I do. With the decal still on its paper backing, position it on the body and tape the edges down. When you are sure of where it's supposed to go, make some very light pencil marks on the body where the tape will actually sit. Also make some registration marks to help like the stripe back up.
Now feel the paint for hickies, dust, bump, anything on the paint that might form a peak underneath the decal. If you find anything in the paint that will prevent from laying flat, wet sand that area with 800 grit paper, or finer, til it is smooth. Wash the whole area clean when done. I like to use prep sol on the whole area to remove any wax.
Mix a little detergent in some water and wet the are to apply the decal. If you need hints to help position it, look at other members cars first. If its the tail stripe I think it is, like a 70 Dart, there is a natural point or crease where it goes over the top of the fender. Some guys lay the decal on like factory, where it abruptly ends where the rear lower valence starts, other guys continue it down the rear valence. Your choice. It sits almost at the very edge of rear qtr where the qtr extension and the qtr meet, and on a 70 about in the middle of the side marker lite.
And the point in the middle of the big decal on the trunk follows the V shape towards the back of the car, same as the trunk lid itself.
Use plenty of lightly soapy water and when you are sure its down where you want it, use a squeegee or clean bondo spreader to push out the water to stick it down where you want it.

I will come and install it for you. That is what I do for a living...Just have some cold beers on hand. You have my card still, right? Wanna check out your car anyways. Shoot me a message!

- Doug

Yeah, it is amazing what is on youtube. Anytime I have a job to do on an appliance, late model vehicle, whatever, I google it, and there is usually a helpful video or set of instructions.

I've checked out a couple videos this evening. It doesnt look that difficult!

Here's what I do. With the decal still on its paper backing, position it on the body and tape the edges down. When you are sure of where it's supposed to go, make some very light pencil marks on the body where the tape will actually sit. Also make some registration marks to help like the stripe back up.
Now feel the paint for hickies, dust, bump, anything on the paint that might form a peak underneath the decal. If you find anything in the paint that will prevent from laying flat, wet sand that area with 800 grit paper, or finer, til it is smooth. Wash the whole area clean when done. I like to use prep sol on the whole area to remove any wax.
Mix a little detergent in some water and wet the are to apply the decal. If you need hints to help position it, look at other members cars first. If its the tail stripe I think it is, like a 70 Dart, there is a natural point or crease where it goes over the top of the fender. Some guys lay the decal on like factory, where it abruptly ends where the rear lower valence starts, other guys continue it down the rear valence. Your choice. It sits almost at the very edge of rear qtr where the qtr extension and the qtr meet, and on a 70 about in the middle of the side marker lite.
And the point in the middle of the big decal on the trunk follows the V shape towards the back of the car, same as the trunk lid itself.
Use plenty of lightly soapy water and when you are sure its down where you want it, use a squeegee or clean bondo spreader to push out the water to stick it down where you want it.

Very good advice thank you

I will come and install it for you. That is what I do for a living...Just have some cold beers on hand. You have my card still, right? Wanna check out your car anyways. Shoot me a message!

- Doug

Doug, I sure do! That would be awesome actually. I would give it a shot myself after watching the videos. Problem is I only get 1 shot LOL. I always have beer and it would be fun to catch up and shoot the ****. Im out of town this weekend but we can plan for the weekend after that. I'll give you a call.

Put two or three drops of dish soap in a spray bottle and fill it with water. You don't need too much soap in the soap/water solution...

Stripe Kit Installation Instructions

1- Make sure the car is clean. Make sure you are not doing this in a windy area. If your car was recently waxed, you may need to “kill” the wax before installing your stripes. You can do this by wiping the area where you are going to be installing the stripes with rubbing alcohol.

2 - Get a spray bottle & fill it with water, 6-10 drops of dishwashing liquid, and about a capful of rubbing alcohol.

3 - You should layout the entire side of the car first using masking tape or magnets to hold the stripes in place. Take a few steps back and make sure everything is lined up.

4 - Starting with the door, lay the stripe out flat and gently peel away the backing paper (this is the heavy wax coated paper that is on the adhesive side). Spray the back of the stripe with your soapy water solution and then spray the body panel as well.

5 - Place the stripe on the body panel. The soapy water allows you to move it around until you get it in the right spot. It also helps you work out any bubbles in the material.

6- Starting in the middle, gently press down on the stripe using a squeegee (I think I put one in the box for you - if I didn't a fresh bondo spreader works well too). If the stripe moves as you are pressing down, gently lift it up and re-spray (be careful though - the smaller stripes tend to stretch when you do this)

7- Work as much of the moisture out as you can. Now WAIT and move on before you try peeling off the transfer tape

8- Go to the next body panel and repeat this procedure

9- You should wait at least an hour before trying to remove the transfer tape. It will take longer if it is cold. If you want to speed it up a little, you can use a heat gun on its lowest setting. When you have removed the transfer tape, gently wrap the excess into the door jambs. If they are stubborn and do not want to stick, use the heat gun (again at lowest setting).

Stripe Kit Installation Instructions

1- Make sure the car is clean. Make sure you are not doing this in a windy area. If your car was recently waxed, you may need to “kill” the wax before installing your stripes. You can do this by wiping the area where you are going to be installing the stripes with rubbing alcohol.

2 - Get a spray bottle & fill it with water, 6-10 drops of dishwashing liquid, and about a capful of rubbing alcohol.

3 - You should layout the entire side of the car first using masking tape or magnets to hold the stripes in place. Take a few steps back and make sure everything is lined up.

4 - Starting with the door, lay the stripe out flat and gently peel away the backing paper (this is the heavy wax coated paper that is on the adhesive side). Spray the back of the stripe with your soapy water solution and then spray the body panel as well.

5 - Place the stripe on the body panel. The soapy water allows you to move it around until you get it in the right spot. It also helps you work out any bubbles in the material.

6- Starting in the middle, gently press down on the stripe using a squeegee (I think I put one in the box for you - if I didn't a fresh bondo spreader works well too). If the stripe moves as you are pressing down, gently lift it up and re-spray (be careful though - the smaller stripes tend to stretch when you do this)

7- Work as much of the moisture out as you can. Now WAIT and move on before you try peeling off the transfer tape

8- Go to the next body panel and repeat this procedure

9- You should wait at least an hour before trying to remove the transfer tape. It will take longer if it is cold. If you want to speed it up a little, you can use a heat gun on its lowest setting. When you have removed the transfer tape, gently wrap the excess into the door jambs. If they are stubborn and do not want to stick, use the heat gun (again at lowest setting).

Thanks Gary!

10- Don't get soap in your beer.

You have to put it down to get soap in it.

Great deestruckshuns Gary, but I prefer using a hair drier. That way it's impossible to accidentally booger up a good stripe. Cause if there's a way to booger something up, I am gonna find it.

Great deestruckshuns Gary, but I prefer using a hair drier. That way it's impossible to accidentally booger up a good stripe. Cause if there's a way to booger something up, I am gonna find it.

Lmao, I seem to have that talent as well.

-
Back