Help choosing a carb

-
Agreed! I'm going to do what I can to get it ready. Much rather show up with an A-Body for sure. Looking forward to meeting up with you guys.
Yep, I'll leave you alone so you can get it done.
Look forward to meeting you too.

I just bought a race brawler 850 recently, to replace an ancient 4781. Very pleased so far, but I think it is smaller than the old 850. Lots prettier though. Polished aluminum with purple anodized billet base a metering blocks.
MOPARMAGA would like it.
Yes sir, purple is great. It's just like having another kitty cat.

I am having a hard time deciding which carb to go with on my build so what I am looking for are opinions on what I should get and why.

The original plan was to run one of the new 850cfm Edelbrock VRS-4150 Race carbs but they are still in the testing phase and not released. I think an 850 is the right size and I am looking at Quick Fuel, Holley HP and Demon to name a few as well as all the different options and configurations within those brands. Please be specific. Don't just say "850cfm Holley" or "go with a 850cfm 4150". Tell me which model, annular or downleg, billet or non-billet....etc

Combo:
408 forged stroker with flat top pistons
12.2-12.5 CR
Trick Flow heads
660/660 258/264 108 LCA solid roller cam
Harland Sharp 1.5 ratio rockers
Victor 340 intake
MSD ignition
Hedman Huster race headers with 1 7/8 primaries
built 727 with 5400 stall 8" PTC converter
4.10 gears
28" drag radials
Caltracs with split Mono Leaf springs

Shift point 6800-7000 rpms and about 6500-6700 through the traps.
Car will weigh aprox 3300 lbs.

Thanks in advance,
Bill

Picture for reference....
View attachment 1716093402

I would recommend looking at a Holley 950 from a custom shop. With the manifold you are using, the annular boosters are a big benefit. Looking at dyno test results show good performance.

I would recommend looking at a Holley 950 from a custom shop. With the manifold you are using, the annular boosters are a big benefit. Looking at dyno test results show good performance.
Already ordered a carb from Thumper. Thank you though. :thumbsup:

No, I got it from the guy who got it from Ben. Do you know the car? Do you know Ben? If so, we need to talk…. lol
I do, Ben lived down the street from me about ten years ago and built the car at that time. I know the shop that did the work and I helped him degree his cam as well as inspected his heads etc. It had a scat cast crank roatating assembly, comp xs282, around 9.8 compression and the heads were rebuilt with 2.02/1.6 chevy valves ported by a guy that used to sell heads at swap meets around here, the port work was decent but mild. Should run low 12s easy but from what he told me at the time I'm sure it doesn't have enough converter. You have my number if you want to talk about it more.

Already ordered a carb from Thumper. Thank you though. :thumbsup:
And if you are looking for another thumper carb I know a guy who has a brand new cast main body 850 fresh from Dom setup for a 408 he probably would sell for a good price. the one on the left is the one mopar maga mentioned that I bought from the guy and the one on the right is the 850. It's crazy because the guy has around 5 or so thumper carbs and a ton of amazing parts.
49013.jpeg

Last edited:
I do, Ben lived down the street from me about ten years ago and built the car at that time. I know the shop that did the work and I helped him degree his cam as well as inspected his heads etc. It had a scat cast crank roatating assembly, comp xs282, around 9.8 compression and the heads were rebuilt with 2.02/1.6 chevy valves ported by a guy that used to sell heads at swap meets around here, the port work was decent but mild. Should run low 12s easy but from what he told me at the time I'm sure it doesn't have enough converter. You have my number if you want to talk about it more.
Right on! I was hoping to find someone that knew the history on this car. Looks like we are going to have a lot to talk about on the 10th! lol

I am having a hard time deciding which carb to go with on my build so what I am looking for are opinions on what I should get and why.

The original plan was to run one of the new 850cfm Edelbrock VRS-4150 Race carbs but they are still in the testing phase and not released. I think an 850 is the right size and I am looking at Quick Fuel, Holley HP and Demon to name a few as well as all the different options and configurations within those brands. Please be specific. Don't just say "850cfm Holley" or "go with a 850cfm 4150". Tell me which model, annular or downleg, billet or non-billet....etc

Combo:
12.2-12.5 CR
Trick Flow heads
Victor 340 intake
MSD ignition
4.10 gears
28" drag radials

Thanks in advance,
Bill

Look at ATM brand carbs. They are good people to work with.

XRC Race Series Gas Carburetor​

XRC Race Carburetors​

<< Back
XRC Race Series Gas Carburetor
ATM’s Gas XRC Series "Race" carburetors "no vacuum ports" will fulfill the needs of most racers with advanced fuel control from the ATM™ all aluminum fuel bowls to the fully tuneable air bleeds and fuel channel restrictions in the ATM™ die-cast aluminum carb bodies and metering blocks. They are available in 5 sizes from 650-1050CFM (4150 style).
Gas carbs come with a polished silver finish standard.
Part #: XRC
Price: $555.56

Combo:
12.2-12.5 CR
Trick Flow heads
Victor 340 intake
MSD ignition
4.10 gears
28" drag radials

Thanks in advance,
Bill

Sounds like a great build you have going on. Pretty much the same build I am wanting to do. But I think the roller cam I have is around 270 at 0.050 and I will be useing a tunnelram.

-
Back