Help - Federal Pump Rebuild

-

carfreak6970

Reaction score
Hello...

So I am working on my 5th reman pump this summer on my 68 dart and I have had enough of changing out these pumps. The problems I have seen was the gasket to the reservoir leaking right after installation, or the pulley rattling so bad you can hear it and lose low speed power assist. These problems are keeping me from enjoying the car during the time of year I can actually drive it up here in PA...

My question is how hard is it to rebuild these federal pumps?

I believe in order to get the shaft out and change the bearing (which I think is what is causing the rattling sound) I need a press to press it out. Now I know I can get a press at harbor freight for under $300. What weight ratting can I get for this job and still use it for any other work needed on vehicle restoration (pressing out various bearings in the rear end, trans, front end bushings, etc.)?

I believe the seals in these pumps are just standard O-rings/Square seal rings correct? Is there a part source for the seals? or any of the internal valves in the pump?

thank you

I can't help with the bearings but when I took mine apart to add washers to the pressure valve I put some sealer around the tank before putting it back together, no more leaks there. If you are interested in more road feel and getting rid of the light feeling of the power steering and you will have it apart anyway look up, pump it down easy, this will show you how to make the steering feel more connected to the road. this is how one fella did it, I just added three washers that I took from an old pump.

Jeff

Hello...

So I am working on my 5th reman pump this summer on my 68 dart and I have had enough of changing out these pumps. The problems I have seen was the gasket to the reservoir leaking right after installation, or the pulley rattling so bad you can hear it and lose low speed power assist. These problems are keeping me from enjoying the car during the time of year I can actually drive it up here in PA...

My question is how hard is it to rebuild these federal pumps?

I believe in order to get the shaft out and change the bearing (which I think is what is causing the rattling sound) I need a press to press it out. Now I know I can get a press at harbor freight for under $300. What weight ratting can I get for this job and still use it for any other work needed on vehicle restoration (pressing out various bearings in the rear end, trans, front end bushings, etc.)?

I believe the seals in these pumps are just standard O-rings/Square seal rings correct? Is there a part source for the seals? or any of the internal valves in the pump?

thank you
I rebuilt mine last year and it was very easy. I don't recall a bearing that is pressed on and it did not require in special tools except a pulley puller.

Where did you get your replacement parts?
Here are the instructions

page 1.jpg

page 2.jpg

page 3.jpg

page 4.jpg

Printable

Attachments

• power steering rebuild.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 219
So if I am reading this right, if the pump is making noise it probably means the rotating assembly is badly scored? according to the FSM anyway... and your right there are no bearings in this pump at all

So if I am reading this right, if the pump is making noise it probably means the rotating assembly is badly scored? according to the FSM anyway... and your right there are no bearings in this pump at all
I'd assume the the same but would go a head and take it apart, who knows what you'll find..

So far so good! 3 years on the pump and its still doing fine. I dont think the pump likes cold weather, or sitting too long unused because it starts to make noise. But other than that no complaints!
Thanks! I have to do mine soon. Its noisy and just stopped working. Well it "kinda " works if I bring the RPMs up, but it also makes that whine noise too. I bought a kit which seems to be all seals, not sure if it is the Federal... its off my 70 Swinger.

Thanks! I have to do mine soon. Its noisy and just stopped working. Well it "kinda " works if I bring the RPMs up, but it also makes that whine noise too. I bought a kit which seems to be all seals, not sure if it is the Federal... its off my 70 Swinger.
Id say give it ago, its pretty simple to do

-
Back