help! garage stinks of gas when car is shut down

-

mopar56

Reaction score
I am hoping there is a easy cheap fix for this, my sons 70 duster has a 71 dart tank in it, the one with the four nipples, ( we put it in because the original was junk when he got the car) currently one nipple goes to the vent line along side the filler and the rest are capped, when the car is parked in the garage it smells of gas, no gas leaks any where, the garage is attached to the house so when you open the door the smell comes in and my wife wants it out of there, the rains are coming and my son and I have plans to work on this over the winter, I assume the smell is either coming from the carb because the tank is pressurized and its pushing up? or its venting out the cap?, has anyone installed a charcoal vent in line some where or added a latter model charcoal canister, at this time my son doesn't have the funds to replace the tank with the correct one but as this car never had a charcoal canister in 1970 anyway I don't think that would solve anything, where these cars always this way?, thanks.

Only thing I can say is my car did the same thing. ('72 340 thermoquad). Found and installed a charcoal can from a slightly newer Mopar ( don't remember the year, but a /6.) and the gassy smell went away.
Yote

Very normal for all carburetors to vent to the atmosphere. Assuming you have a gas/ethanol blend there, that makes the situation even worse by evaporating very quickly. Doubt if there is any easy fix. Leave a window slightly open for a few days after parking the car?

I am doing the window thing now but winter is coming and I hope if it stops with the car not driving it will fix it self but there always seems to be a slight smell even after a couple days, Yote...how did you hook up the canister do you remember and did you install it in the trunk or under the hood then pipe in to vaccum?

I think the charcoal canister on the vent should fix it. I read somewhere on hear (on of the FiTech threads I think) that someone found a canister from a motorcycle cheap that did the job.

yes charcoal canister hooked up properly will fix the problem....or get rid of the wife

Last edited:
I put a vent fan in the attic and plumbed it into an existing roof vent. I wired a programmable timer on it, and scheduled it to go on for 15min. twice a day. That worked for me, but your situation could require more or less venting.

If you have that small hose connection at the top of the gas tank ,use a bit of vacuum hose and attach a one way valve so air only goes in and nothing comes back out, This will save you from installing a charcoal can. This is what I did , just a suggestion.

890-1071-1.jpg

001.jpg

Edelbrock carb? They seem more susceptible to fuel vaporizing especially if you have some ethanol in there especially after a hot soak (after running the car and shutting it off) If that's the problem an carb base insulator can help.

No matter what you do with the tank vent, the carburetor still vents to atmosphere. My Holley 3310 stops smelling after a couple days, after all the fuel disappears from the bowls. There were some mid-'70s carbs that were sealed, and they vented into the charcoal canister system. I suppose you could look at some FSMs and try to figure out what cars they came on. Then try to find one.

They don't run on coal.

I put a box fan in front of the radiator and run it when the engine is hot. It helps a little. I am also thinking of installing a powered vent, Like I bathroom fan to vent the fumes after running the car.

I put a box fan in front of the radiator and run it when the engine is hot. It helps a little. I am also thinking of installing a powered vent, Like I bathroom fan to vent the fumes after running the car.
Just make sure that has a brushless, or explosion-proof motor!

My off brand 77 jimmy did the exact same thing, but worse. Always had a gas smell in cab. Dug up a charcoal canister from lord knows where and plumbed it in place if the missing one. Cured.

Mopar56-- I had one vent line from the tank to the canister, one line from canister to the carb bowl vent and another from canister to a valve then to carb vacume port. Canister purge valve is what the valve is called, from NAPA $25 . I mounted the canister in the right front (passenger side) of the engine bay between the radiator and wheel well.
I also added a small engine fuel filter to the lines going to the carb. May not have had to do that but I have heard of charcoal possibly disintegrating ,entering the car and causing problems. Just what I did.
Yote

Last edited:
My tank has four vents, the carb is an Eddy, but I like the Eddy carbs, could try a spacer, Fatoldguy you said one way valve so air goes in not out, wouldn't it vent out?
You want air going into the tank , you don't want fumes coming out.

OK so I picked this up today. ..here is my idea I thought I would make I manifold from the aluminum block and fittings pictured then run the four vent lines into it from the tank in the side then one out the bottom to the vent in the pipe and the other one off the top to a charcoal cannister then one from the cannister to a vacuum port on the carb my thought was this would vent the tank through a cannister by way of vacuum. ...will it work?

20171006_172319.jpg

Ok I think I have too many fittings, one of the four nipples is already hooked up to the vent that runs up beside the filler tube and vents at the top, so I need three on the manifold to hook to the remaining three vent nipples on the tank, ( I can plug two off ) then run one line running to a charcoal canister up front in the filter side and the other two ( on the canister ) going to bowl vent and ported vacuum but could the vacuum pull fuel from the tank up through the manifold instead of just fumes?

-
Back