Help...Getting the speedo housing out of the dash of a Dart.

-

copcarz

Reaction score
Maybe someone has experienced taking the speedometer housing out of a dash of a late 60's Dodge Dart. I am having trouble getting it out. So far I have taken out the seat (so I can lay on the floor and look under the dash), lowered the steering column, taken out all the screws from the front, unscrewed the fuse block from the dash and disconnected the speedo cable. How many wires need to be disconnected? Having trouble trying to roll the speedometer housing out. Any help would be appreciated.

Generally (as well as dropping the column and the speedo cable)

disconnect the battery

gently unhook the wiring connector(s)

unhook the ammeter nut connectors

watch for harness clips interfering

pull the cluster out gently and "hinge downward" so the face of the cluster points down and pull on out.

Yep, my money's on the ammeter wires. Handle with care. Good luck.

Thank you both. I figured something to do with disconnecting some of the wiring behind the cluster before trying to get it out. There just wasn't a lot of room left back there to get your hands up behind the dash.

Did you lower the steering column ? It is in the way of tilting or rotating the panel to access the backside.

OOPS I see that now.

Some of the standard panels have a clip on the wiring harness at about top and center of panel on the dash. It can be a pain to open and set the harness out of.

Yep, hand room is sorely lacking back there. Hope you didn't get cut up too badly.

Thanks Redfish. Got the project done yesterday.

You're welcome.
I have developed my own proceedure that doesn't require laying in the floor and reaching up because I didn't have a choice ( spinal problems ).
Mine involves a few more steps than the factory service manuals proceedure which covers 6.5 pages. Much more than I would type out here.
Those Dart panels with 2 inline pin connectors are a little different anyway.
Happy moparing

-
Back