Help, Help, Help

-

dartgts69

Reaction score
1972 Demon-In the process of replacing my steering box and coupler. Disconnected hoses to the steering box and then used a center punch to tap the pin out of the coupler. Well here is the problem. The punch is stuck in the pin and wedged in there very tight. If I keep hammering Im wedging it deeper, I have also tried from underneath the car and no success either. Taking a break, to cool downand ask for advice.

any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Grab the punch with vise grips and spin it back and forth, Maybe some PB blaster or WD40 to lube it.. It should come out. You need something thats not tapered to punch the pin out.

Take the stering colum out. Then just take the gear box and coupler out as one and work it over on the bench.

ok yes, I thought of those options. #1 vise grip and twist, and #2 column removal. How does the column get removed? I'm just going to take a break and figure it out.

Thanks and keep em coming.

:snakeman: Ok worked on replacing box for awhile, packed it in for the eve.ve Managed to remove the pin with some patience.Next problem: Cannot reach the mounting bolts for the steering box because the headers in the way. Also I cannot use the pitman puller because headers are in the way again. How have you guys overcome this proble? It is Looking like a disassemble and reassemble. Any recommendations on front end bushing kit? May as well do it all at once.

Thank you

You may have to loosen the engine mounts and carefully jack the engine up a little to gain access to the steering box bolts. Watch out for the transmission, exhaust, etc. so you don't get something in a bind. Use a wide board under the oil pan to spread the load.

I have not slept a wink, I have been thinking of all my options on how to get it done. Should have slept under the car...LoL. I Really appreciate any and all comments on this one. It just seems that when I look from underneath the car, and I try to eliminate barriers to remove the box, something else would need disassembling. I have been told to raise the driver side of the motor.

Now I am advised to raise the entire motor, which I will do if I have to do it. I am off for a few days so I can concentrate on this and get it done. I refuse to give up, and cannot afford to farm this one out.
Also been looking in my manual and no section on how to remove the steering column

as always Thank you guys for any and all advice. anyone live around the corner and care to help? lol

Ron aka "stumped"

I apologize, but forgot to mention a big THANK YOU!!!! Everyone is so damn helpful and such an valuable resource. This site is priceless.

Power box with headers. You need to pull the header. Its a nightmare if you haven't done it a million times. I personally find t easiest to pull the driver Torsion bar and remove the tie rods. You need to diconnect the pitman aswell to get the header out I believe but thats no big deal seeing you are tring to remove the entire box.

Just take your time, Its a pain in the ***.

-
Back