Help (I am very frustrated) Help...

-

64X2

Mohel at your service.
Reaction score
Ok I picked up a 79 OD trans to put in my 64 Valiant. I finally got it all installed drove it once and had a lot of problems getting it to shift in to first and reverse, not bad enough that I could not deal with for short drives. So I did some research and found that the shifter adapter might not be the correct one. Then the side cover sprung a leak, so I got a adapter from a 64/65 cuda. Then I pulled the trans and using a factory service manual took the side cover off, put a new gasket on and like to never get the side cover back on. I did get back on and I checked to make sure that it shifted smoothly and it did. So back into the car the trans went, after some bending of the shifter linkage rods it was all hooked up. Filled the trans with 30 weight, started the car and now the I cannot get the trans into first. It goes into reverse, third and fourth. Third and Fouth is easy to get into, reverse requires some effort. Now when I get under the car and have someone try to shift it into first, it looks like it is also trying to put the trans into reverse. When the shifter moves the linkage rod to go into first the reverse rod also engages and it looks like it is shifting into first and reverse. Now when the car is running and you put it into what is suppose to be first the car bogs and stalls, like when you would try to take off in fourth gear. I am completely confused, is it the trans, is it the shifter, is it the linkage, or is it the adapter .............I have been screwing around with this all week and I am ready to strangle someone over this...

Please any sugestion

are u using the shifter and linkage rods from the od? and there should be a 5th. a 4spd shifter mite not work, i dont know

I agree, here's what I'd do: Rent or borrow the use of a SAFE chassis hoist, remove all the linkage from the shifter, and with someone up in the car and running, clutch down, check shifting into gears, maybe using channel locks or vise grips on the shift levers.

If the car "bogs" and won't move, sounds to me like it's going into two gears at once. Maybe the detent in the side cover is gone, broken, etc. I BELIEVE that I remember that you can actually get a Mopar box into reverse---and any other forward gear.

are u using the shifter and linkage rods from the od? and there should be a 5th. a 4spd shifter mite not work, i dont know

There shouldn't be a 5th. He's thinking of a different thing alltogether.

First thing I would do is make sure the linkage is adjusted correctly. I would also try a lighter weight lube. Maybe ATF.

Did you center the shifter? You may need to make sure the trans is in neutral, no rods connected, then line up shifter and insert a 1/4 inch rod through the holes on shifter arms and readjust shifter rods.

if you have two different shifter rods moving together and they are not touching it is a problem with the shifter, you could have something stuck in the mechanism like a small stone or twig or the grease could be old and turned to glue causing one linkage to drag on another

Well I disconnected the shifter and checked that the trans went into every gear and it did. I then followed the vid that was posted by caferacerx, thanks by the way, took the shifter apart and found someone else must have had it apart once before as there was a shim in the wrong place. I got the shifter reassembled installed in the car and it worked the way it was suppose to, unfourtunately now reverse does not want to work, and you can tell it is shifter related. Now I have to save my pennies and pick me up a rebuilt shifter from Brewer Performance. Thanks for all the replys......

-
Back