Help! I.D. these connectors please...

-

Beatnik

Reaction score
So I'm trying to track down why I have no dash lights, or parking lights and running lights. (Do have headlights/blinkers/emerg. flashers and brake lights)

I'm just getting into/under the dash etc...was going to try and replace the headlight switch (already tried fresh bulbs and fuses) and found these two connectors up above the kick-panel just under the dash on the drivers side. Cant seem to I.D. them...? Anyone got some ideas?

One's yellow plastic w/ 2 prong connection...one's got a 3 prong connection and single....not sure what they are for but they look old and figured I'd replace 'em while I was at it!

Thanks!

Attachments

• Connectors.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 239
Those are relays and circuit breakers. They are used for things like seat belt buzzer-horns bla bla bla. They will not have a thing to do with no dash lights. I would look to the dash ground or the "dimmer" on the headlight switch. When you rotate the headlight knob do the dash light flash at all? Does the interior lights come on? Failing that I would think fuse or look to make sure the wiring harness is plugged in.

Thanks guys! Yea, horn no workie either...so could be the relay.

slant6/4speed - When I rotate the dimmer on the headlight switch I get nothing/nada. Tried wiggling/jiggling etc and no changes...dome light doesnt work either (but havent changed bulb yet to rule it out)

Adam - 70 Duster...

Sounds like you have no power to the circuit. Time to break out the service manual and trace wires. Is this a 1974ish A-body? Remember that the interior lights are controlled by the little push switch in the door jams and it grounds the wire to turn on the lights.

Look like you will be checking out pink or black and yellow wires for a while! Have you been working under the dash lately? Feet unplug some wires?

Thanks guys! It's a 70 Duster...and I've not been working under the dash much. Just to try and start troubleshooting this no dash lights, no running or parking lights issue...

Adam thx for the diagrams. I actually had just downloaded those before you replied! Going to start chasing things...

Wonder if the headlight switch could be the issue w/ the parking lights and rear running lights not coming on? Seems odd because I have headlights/turn sig's and brake lights...so I'm a little confused.

Also... I searched here re. no running/parking lights issues and it seems to run the gambit. I'm not sure where to even start now, so gonna start at the headlight switch

The relay in your hand is for the seatbelt mess. I don't know those had the igniton interlock, but they still had the lamp/ buzzer to "hook up."

On the other relay, post "where it was"--under the hood, under the dash, if you know

What were the wire colors on the connector hooked to it?

What are the numbers on the second relay?

On the other relay, post "where it was"--under the hood, under the dash, if you know

What were the wire colors on the connector hooked to it?

What are the numbers on the second relay?

Under the Dash - right next to the horn relay...by drivers side kick panel

On the yellow connector....
3 wires - blue, blue w/ white tracer, and blue w/ brown tracer

Numbers unidentifiable...cant read 'em. too much corrosion/crusty stuff...

Correct location for the HL delay relay, but wrong color wires?
John

The metal one on the right is the horn relay.

The plastic one on the left is most likely your key-in-ignition warning buzzer.

Replacing the headlamp switch will likely—but not certainly—solve your no-lights problem. If there's no power reaching the headlamp switch, a new switch won't help. But the odds are good that the fault is in the switch.

I'd check some voltages at the fuses before I go buy a headlight switch. You may not have power coming in.

I just read the symptoms again. Had it in mind (the first time) that you didn't have headlamps. Do as Jim suggests and check fuses; you'll likely find the fuse that controls the dash lights, dome light, and park/tail lights is blown. You'll also likely find that the reason it's blown is a chafed wire grounding out somewhere near the taillights. The reason all those lights are on the same circuit is so you have some indication that you're dark from behind (no taillights) so you know to fix it in a hurry.

Thanks guys...!!!!

Well found the fuse box under the drivers side of the dash up by the door. Looks like 5-20amp fuses and 2-30amp fuses...and none look blown to me. But I'm going to replace them all anyway.

As well, I flipped it over and the connectors/wires look like King Tut's tomb. Crusty and cobwebbed, but they are present and accounted and connected....and it looks to be NO backyard wiring tricks/splicing have taken place over the years....so that's good I guess.

Going to replace fuses and go from there...will report tomorrow! (Thurs)

Dan - You think it could be the headlight switch at all though assuming new fuses doesnt do the trick? Or not...

Yep, it certainly could be the headlamp switch, which feeds all of the dead lights. You know the trick to removing the headlight switch knob and stem? Disconnect the battery negative cable. Reach up behind the dash and find the headlight switch body. On one side of it will be a small domed metal button, heavily spring-loaded. Figure out whether your thumb or index finger will reach it easier, then tape a penny to the applicable digit on the applicable hand. Go back under the dash and use the penny-taped-to-finger-or-thumb to push that button HARD while you give a good hard yank on the headlight knob. The knob and stem will (eventually) come out. Installation just requires pushing the stem back in all the way until it snap locks into the switch.

Dan - You rock...thought I'd check this thread one more time before bed. I'll give that a shot tomorrow!

Thanks again...:cheers:

UPDATE - Dan, you called it..headlight switch. Got a new one on and everythings working (except now it seems my drivers brake light is a little intermittent) but I even have dash lights! Well...speedo light anyway...guage lghts no, but that could be bulbs...

Thanks again everyone!

My last question however (Dan)...why do you need to tape a penny to your finger to push the spring in for the headlight knob removal? I was able to just do it sans penny....just curious.

UPDATE - Dan, you called it..headlight switch. Got a new one on and everythings working (except now it seems my drivers brake light is a little intermittent)

That'll probably be the fault of the turn signal switch.

My last question however (Dan)...why do you need to tape a penny to your finger to push the spring in for the headlight knob removal? I was able to just do it sans penny....just curious.

The button is usually super-stiff and at an awkward angle so it is effectively impossible to push with sufficient leverage unless you tape a coin to your finger. Anyhow, sounds like you got it!

Thanks again! Yea, could be the turn signal switch...should probably think about replacing that at some point too. Man, lot's of switches/relay's/circuit breakers etc when you get down/dirty under the dash eh...? Fun though, once you figure out what it was and it's fixed! Frustrating when not...but still better than a day at work.

-
Back