help i have no turn signals

-

SOUPENE

Reaction score
ok here's what iv'e done
iv'e checked the flasher modules they both work when you put the emergancy flashers on but when you try the turn signal nothing next i checked the fuse box all the fuses look good all the bulbs are fine i tried to check the switch but you cant really get into that plastic housing to get a good look i thought it might be the switch because i got a lil overspray on it when i painted the colom but i dont know im at my wits end :spiderma: is there any thing im over lookin? any ideas ? like i said when you pull the emergancy flasher switch out all the correct lights flash so what am i missing? "help"
thanks
Dan

One flasher is ONLY for the hazards. The other flasher is ONLY for the turn signals. They are not meant to work at the same time.

What year is your car? That's always helpful information when asking a questino like this.

oh sorry its a 73 swinger and no i meant both of the flasher modules are good because when i turn the hazzards on and swap the modules they both work .

oh sorry its a 73 swinger and no i meant both of the flasher modules are good because when i turn the hazzards on and swap the modules they both work .

Then yeah, you don't need a new flasher. You probably do need a new turn signal switch. They're not hard to get. Standard-BlueStreak #TW-7 or NAPA Echlin #DL-6398.

Brake lights work ? Does the signal switch interupt one brake light each direction ?

If you had your column apart and reassembled it-the wires running down may have been pinched and cause a short.

Well i didnt take the colomn apart till i noticed the problem so i dont think i pinched the wires and yeah the brake lights work but i cant tell if it interupts the brake light because theflashers arnt doin nothing.
Im with slantsixdan i think its the switch because before the restoration they worked but not too good i had to always pull back on the key close to the turn off position than they would work. Go figure....

Well i didnt take the colomn apart till i noticed the problem so i dont think i pinched the wires and yeah the brake lights work but i cant tell if it interupts the brake light because theflashers arnt doin nothing.
Im with slantsixdan i think its the switch because before the restoration they worked but not too good i had to always pull back on the key close to the turn off position than they would work. Go figure....

Now that sounds like a bad ignition switch . It so the radio, wipers etc.., would need a key wiggle too.
The signal switch should turn one brake off wheater it flashes or not.
hope this helps.

Now that sounds like a bad ignition switch . It so the radio, wipers etc.., would need a key wiggle too.
The signal switch should turn one brake off wheater it flashes or not.
hope this helps.
YEAH THATS RIGHT BECAUSE I HAVE TO DO THAT TO GET THE WIPERS TO WORK TOO BUT AS OF RIGHT NOW MY WIPERS STILL WORK BUT NO TURN SIGNALS. SO YOU THINK IT COULD BE THE IGNITION SWITCH? ILL HAVE TO WAIT TILL MY SON GETS HOME TO TEST THE BRAKE LIGHT THING ... AGGGHHHHH I HATE ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS:spiderma:

well put a whole new "used turn signal switch in her tonight and still nothing agggghhhhhh what the hell...

As an Aircraft an Automotive Electrical Technician here is what I can tell you in a few words.
** Does the flasher click when you put the turn signal on?

1) Do you have the correct year service manual for the car?
2) Start in the engine compartment, with a test light hooked to a good ground, find each turn signal output on the firewall dissconnect and stick your probe in there with the key on and in the proper direction on your switch, (with the bulkhead connectors still contected you should have room to slid a probe in). If the light lights up you have good power going into the column and good power coming out of the column. And your problem lies elsewhere. I have seen a bulb installed incorrectly before causing a minor short but not enough to blow a fuse, and no blinkers was the result (this isn't you since you have emergency flashers.

4)with an ohm meter check for continuity in the switch. You will need to look in the manual sometimes going to a known good ground is not enough. You will have to start tracing back in the switch for this, usually between ground and the flasher will sometimes work. your book will show you.

** Your problem sounds like you missing a ground on the Turn signal side of the circuit. If this gets to rough give me a call.

as an aircraft an automotive electrical technician here is what i can tell you in a few words.
** does the flasher click when you put the turn signal on?

1) do you have the correct year service manual for the car?
2) start in the engine compartment, with a test light hooked to a good ground, find each turn signal output on the firewall dissconnect and stick your probe in there with the key on and in the proper direction on your switch, (with the bulkhead connectors still contected you should have room to slid a probe in). If the light lights up you have good power going into the column and good power coming out of the column. And your problem lies elsewhere. I have seen a bulb installed incorrectly before causing a minor short but not enough to blow a fuse, and no blinkers was the result (this isn't you since you have emergency flashers.

4)with an ohm meter check for continuity in the switch. You will need to look in the manual sometimes going to a known good ground is not enough. You will have to start tracing back in the switch for this, usually between ground and the flasher will sometimes work. Your book will show you.

** your problem sounds like you missing a ground on the turn signal side of the circuit. If this gets to rough give me a call.
thank you very much ill check into all you have mentioned and no the flasher only clicks when the hazzard flashers are on..

Ok so when i step on the brake peddle the brake lights light up same time i hit the turn signals both brake lights stay on there is no interuption....hhhmmmm.

I feel fer ya!! I f'n hate electrical!! Go smoke a left-hander, maybe it will come to you....
HA HA YEAH I HATE THIS ELECTRICAL BS I HAVE NO CLUE WHAT IT COULD BE AGGGGGHHHHHHH I THINK ILL TAKE THAT SMOKE NOW HA HA :happy6:

i dont know i just checked all the grounds i could find and nothing ok ok i bet its something so simple that i over looked . i hope..

On a 1970 Duster there is a turn signal fuse right side of dash around the glove box area.Not sure if a 1973 is the same.Hope this helps.If not you may need to locate a wiring schematic for your year car.

Hey i think its fixed i dont know what i did but played with the glove box light and noticed there was a loose wire going to the flasher module go figure ha ha thanks guys for all your help!!!!!!!!!!fabo and all the people on here rules!!!

Glad to hear!! See when you think its complicated its something f'n simple...thats why I hate electrical!! Happy for ya!! Another left-hander comin up

-
Back