Help, I need to buy a torque wrench

-
Is that for Snap On tools? My Snap On guy has been calibrating mine WITH certification if I want it for as long as I can remember for free.

Posts 19-20, Lead foot & R.R.R.,states good sense.The quality of a reused ,new fastener & the lubrication needed for that fastener's accuracy. The ARP "thread torque lube",has changed at least once over the years. It's not torque wrench quality,it's fastener related as well. My .02.

I know a lot of guys that say harbor freight tools are good for what they are. Heck we use a ton of the hand tools and random crap at work. But when your building your 4000 small block is a cheap torque wrench something you want to
Gamble on.

It's a very important tool so spend the money and get a decent one.

You just have to wonder. If the specs call for 65 foot pounds is 60 or 70 unacceptable? Everything else in the engineering world has tolerances that they need to stay inside of. Usually +/- 5% give or take. Should torque wrenches be any different?
Correct. Every good engineer will allow for what's known as a "safety factor". They know that no theoretical torque value, or torque wrench, will ever be 100% accurate. For example, I work on some military jet parts, and right now I'm looking at an assembly drawing that says "62-72 in/lb" for a small nut & bolt fastener. That's 67 plus or minus about 7.5%.

A bolt is like a spring. When you torque it, it stretches. If you over torque it it stretches past its (yield)limit to recover, now its useless. if you under torque it, you are not getting its spring clamping characteristic. When looking at a bolt being torqued, check its position at min and then check at max ratings. I bet its about 1/4 turn max. At 20 tpi, 1/4 turn is .0125 inches. .0063 is an ARP stretch value for a SBC rod, thats 1/8 turn variance. torque wrenches are pretty accurate considering what they do. You be the judge.

Is that for Snap On tools? My Snap On guy has been calibrating mine WITH certification if I want it for as long as I can remember for free.
Do you have some sort of account? I rolled up on 3 different trucks and they all gave me a different price but it was around 30-50 with a cert being $70. Ill send you mine! (I wish)

-
Back