Help ID 273-4 valve covers

-
Oil cap on the drivers side, pcv on the pass. side. The big bracket was on the pass. cover and wasn't used for a heater hose but for the vacuum advance hose and wiring. That area is quite close to the heat riser passage and gets damn hot... Yes, in 67 they changed from the stove pipe pcv to a grommet with a push in valve. The plug wire looms came around in 67. The 65-6 plug wire holders were the white colored individual ones. tmm

The 65-6 plug wire holders were the white colored individual ones. tmm

Are you referring to the "clamshells" or "Pac-Man" shaped round things that clamped around each wire individually and then snapped into the valve cover bracket?

I've seen those also.

The 65 - 66 white colored wire retainers are the same as those used on the 426 Hemi. It doesn't make them cheap to purchase, but at least they are "findable".

No, the heater hose is much too fat, and it would hard to route it that tight to the manifold anyway. And it wouldn't make much sense to corral one of them with this bracket, and then just let the other one run loose.

It is for the alternator wires, and the temp sender wire. Probably intended to keep them from fouling the heat stove arm.

Isn't the big bracket to carry one of the heater hoses? I've used these power pak covers on a variety of small blocks, but never anything stock.

I'm gonna go out on a limb, here and say this is about as "unmolested" an engine compartment as you're likely to find, these days.

I just realized I HAD a 67 in my driveway (only been there since Sunday).

Not an HP 273, but SBM with factory wiring and VC configuration.

Note the original voltage regulator, original hose clamps on heater blend hose, sealed A/C system with paint mark on comp, and original fuseable link.

Looks like the wire on the pass side VC has never been out of the tabs!
I tried to get a closeup of that, but kind of failed.

Still has all the plug wire keepers, too.

Attachments

• IMG_20140709_182809.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_20140709_182747.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_20140709_182710.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_20140709_182741.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 150
The 65 - 66 white colored wire retainers are the same as those used on the 426 Hemi. It doesn't make them cheap to purchase, but at least they are "findable".

The 65/66 oil cap and the pcv cap were Hemi pieces also. They have been repopped but not cheap.

Here's what my '66 273-4 looked like when I got it. It had the CAP from the factory and the /6 filter element added after the fact.

I picked up a rotted out VC to practice refinishing. IIRC, there were no holes other than the stacks. The finned aluminum appliques were held on with some sort of structural adhesive.

Attachments

• 66Dart pre-273.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 150
I don't think 67's had plastic PCV valves, they came in around 1970? The Commando valve covers had chrome plated hex screws with integral flat washers to hold the covers to the heads. I've seen "65" covers on "66" Commando and Charger 273's as well, I guess Early and Late?

I don't think 67's had plastic PCV valves, they came in around 1970? They had chrome plated hex screws with integral flat washers to hold the covers to the heads. I've seen "65" covers on "66" Commando and Charger 273's as well, I guess Early and Late?

Yes, back then the PCV valves were metal with a nut, not plastic. But the OEM ones are too hard to find and the plastic PCV valves will fit.

By referring to the plastic style PCV, we mean the new smaller one with the grommet and not the stove pipe one.

I know and agree. I don't throw the metal ones away anymore. Run them though carb cleaner. Probably didn't need to back in the day either...

... I picked up a rotted out VC to practice refinishing. IIRC, there were no holes other than the stacks. The finned aluminum appliques were held on with some sort of structural adhesive.

I love Commando School!! This is turning into a very informative thread.

:-D "structural adhesive" ... lol Yep, and it's otherwise known as black RTV silicone. The factury used two or three (usually very sloppy) dabs of it on the undersides of the aluminum fins. Some people believe they're heat sinks but their only function is to pretty up the motor and guide the plug wires.

OK, now that we've beat the correct year Commando valve cover subject to death, who can tell me the difference in the fins?...there are different fins that are correct for different years...

IIRC the plug wire holders are different, but not sure how.

OK, now that we've beat the correct year Commando valve cover subject to death, who can tell me the difference in the fins?...there are different fins that are correct for different years...

There was a difference in the fins???? :dontknow:

Ok, let's talk fins.... ....I got nothing. :pale:

I never paid attention to the style of the fins. I thought that they were all the same..... :banghead:

Maybe you can post up a few pictures of the different fins to start the conversation....

I have seen fin sets that were plain aluminum all over and fins that are textured bases with polished fins

I got this :-D ...

I know these are 1965s because they're from 65DartCharger Ulf's amazing museum-quality build. KrazyKuda Karl, yours are just like these by the way:

View attachment 036 - Copy.jpg

View attachment 041 - Copy.jpg

Now notice these fins are slightly different:

View attachment 013 - Copy.jpg

View attachment 020 - Copy.jpg

I'll never claim to be an expert but I believe the slight difference in the uprights stems from the way the plug wire separators attach to the fin assembly.

I'm not sure if Ulf's wire retainers (from the first two pics of fins above) are original or replacements but here they are:

View attachment Post-assembly pic.jpg

The larger white plastic version that snaps into the little hole in the center is really easy to put on but a bit tricky to remove intact (sorry, all I can find is a "before" pic of my fabulous former next door neighbor DoubleM's -- if the retainers are on them on arrival I'll clean them up but won't reinstall them).

View attachment Before Pic.jpg

Moreover, based on what I've received in here to restore over the years (now somewhere between 40-50 sets), the factory had two methods of finishing the fins, a two tone with light argent in the valleys, polished fin tops, sides, fronts and backs, and the more rare fully polished version.

I hope this little pictorial helps! :-D

-
Back