Help ID 273-4 valve covers

-

YY1

Reaction score
I picked up two sets of these over the past several years.

I didn't realize they were different depending on year.

Can someone help me ID which years I have?

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20140705_103433.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 445
Left= 65-6
Right=67-later

The 66 and earlier have the large metal "can" for the PCV valve, the 67 and later have the newer style push in PCV!!

Thanks much.

Are the breathers/fill caps correct?

Left= 65-6
Right=67-later

The 66 and earlier have the large metal "can" for the PCV valve, the 67 and later have the newer style push in PCV!!

Yes.

the right set is definitely 67

I have a set of "stove pipe" commandos and they have the three individual "tabs" and I thought that they were 66. It would make more sense if mine were 65's and his were 66's as it has the same long wire harness brackets as a 67.

It doesn't make sense that they went from the long bracket to the three short "tabs" for 66, and then the long bracket for 67. It makes more sense that the short 'tabs' are from 65, the long bracket is 66.

Here are some pictures of mine:

Stove pipe both:

View attachment 66 Cmndo A05 B.jpg

Stove pipe right:

View attachment 66 Cmndo rt B.jpg

67 both:

View attachment 67 Cmndo A02 B.jpg

67 right:

View attachment 67 Cmndo rt B.jpg

Very good info Karl!!!

True all 3 years were slightly different....are the 66 ones for sale anytime soon?

Very good info Karl!!!

True all 3 years were slightly different....are the 66 ones for sale anytime soon?

Thanks, I'm still trying to sort it out. I thought all stove pipes were the same, but noticed that his and mine had different wire harness tabs/brackets.

I know for sure that the ones without the stove pipes that him and I both posted were 67's as I have a 67 Formula S 273 4 bbl car that I bought from the original owner back in 86/87 and those are what my car has.

I would like any 64, 65, 66 Commando owners to post or let us know what is original on theirs. We could make this an official "How to Identify a Commando Valve Cover" thread, but I would like to get accurate info.

Anybody with original 64, 65 , 66 commando engines with the black/silver covers post up what yours came with if you know if it's original or not. Maybe find some old factory info (brochures, etc.) for those years to see if they show any info that could help identify which years are which.

Maybe my style with the 3 tabs was for 65, and 64? Were 64's different? Then are what the original poster show for sure 66, I'm just guessing on those for now.

Mine are both stove pipes, but the wire loom "tabs" are missing.

Attachments

• 20130508_161912.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 386
Would these covers be the 1966 versions because of the two stovepipes and the big wiring bracket?

Attachments

• 273 Commando valve covers 001.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 365
It might be less confusing if you rotated the passenger side cover in the photo so they were both oriented as they would be on the engine, with the wire brackets on the outside of each.

But that's what my set looks like. Car purchased from original owner in 1977.

Yes.

the right set is definitely 67

I have a set of "stove pipe" commandos and they have the three individual "tabs" and I thought that they were 66. It would make more sense if mine were 65's and his were 66's as it has the same long wire harness brackets as a 67.

It doesn't make sense that they went from the long bracket to the three short "tabs" for 66, and then the long bracket for 67. It makes more sense that the short 'tabs' are from 65, the long bracket is 66.

Here are some pictures of mine:

Stove pipe both:

View attachment 1714734577

Stove pipe right:

View attachment 1714734578

67 both:

View attachment 1714734579

67 right:

View attachment 1714734580

Would these covers be the 1966 versions because of the two stovepipes and the big wiring bracket?

Yes Rick. I believe that yours are the 66's, but we haven't gotten any for sure confirmation yet.

It might be less confusing if you rotated the passenger side cover in the photo so they were both oriented as they would be on the engine, with the wire brackets on the outside of each.

Sorry, those pictures are a couple of years old, I didn't go snap them for this post.

I wrapped them back up and put them back in their box. They were refinished in powder coat by Leanna the CudaChick1968. She does an awesome black wrinkle coat! :heart:

I don't want anything to happen to them until I use them. :rambo:

Ok, thanks Lance. :thumleft:

Do you know if the ones with the small tabs are 64, 65, or both?

Keith lmao :D

No Commando engines in 1964, so the ones with just the small wire tabs are 1965...keep in mine the left/driver side cover is the same for 65-66 :thumleft:

Ok...now I'm confused on the 1967 covers...what side of the engine did Chrysler use the PCV valve on? The OP's first picture and the one Karl posted show the rubber grommet for the PCV valve on the passenger side cover WITH the wide wire loom bracket...but I have a 67 cover for the same valve but DOES NOT have the wide loom bracket......indicating this is for the driver side? I can post a pic, cover does not look modified....

67 pcv

Attachments

• $(KGrHqN,!ksE-oOD1Z((BPvWN1E)Jg~~_4.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 331
Keith lmao :D

No Commando engines in 1964, so the ones with just the small wire tabs are 1965...keep in mine the left/driver side cover is the same for 65-66 :thumleft:

Dammit, I forgot to look where you were located. That's how I tell you two apart since your screen name starts with numbers.... :banghead:

Sorry Keith. :eek:ops:

Ok...now I'm confused on the 1967 covers...what side of the engine did Chrysler use the PCV valve on? The OP's first picture and the one Karl posted show the rubber grommet for the PCV valve on the passenger side cover WITH the wide wire loom bracket...but I have a 67 cover for the same valve but DOES NOT have the wide loom bracket......indicating this is for the driver side? I can post a pic, cover does not look modified....

67 was the first year that they used the plastic style PCV valve in the pass side cover.

The drivers side cover got the oil fill/breather combo.

So what do I have here? Notice the lack of wire loom bracket for the PCV valve cover? I figured it went on the driver side and stovepipe went on passenger......it looks like it never had a bracket, no bends or old welds on the inside where it was tacked on....

Attachments

• DSC00500.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 350
  • DSC00499.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 292
  • DSC00498.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 339
  • DSC00497.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 334
  • DSC00493.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 341
  • DSC00494.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 316
Looks like in my pic, the filler cap and PCV cap have been swapped on the left hand set of covers.

I assume the wire harness holder goes on the pass side for the harness that goes to the alternator.

There is a possibility that the right hand set in the OP has the pass side cover replaced with a non-HP cover, as at least one set of fins is glued on with silicone.
if you look at the pic, you can see it's also slightly lighter and dirtier.

So, double stove pipes and wire management is 66 for sure?

I'm not seeing a difference in large vs small wire management.
Is it for the plug wires or the alt harness?

Are those plastic plug wire holders the same as non-HP cars?
Are they available?

Thanks again. I had no idea this would explode like it has.

So what do I have here? Notice the lack of wire loom bracket for the PCV valve cover? I figured it went on the driver side and stovepipe went on passenger......it looks like it never had a bracket, no bends or old welds on the inside where it was tacked on....

Could they have swapped sides for the pcv/oil fill for one year? Either 64 or 65?

It does look like yours are original.

I'm not seeing a difference in large vs small wire management.
Is it for the plug wires or the alt harness?

Are those plastic plug wire holders the same as non-HP cars?
Are they available?

Thanks again. I had no idea this would explode like it has.

Here are pictures showing the different "wire management" bracket/tab configuration for the wire harness going up the pass side for the temp sensor, alt wiring, and horn.

here's the long one or "bracket":

View attachment 67 Cmndo A01 B B2.jpg

Here's the "tab":

View attachment 66 Cmndo rt B2.jpg

Don't apologize for it exploding, I also didn't mean to make it this long, but I noticed a difference in yours and my stove pipe covers, and I thought that they were all supposed to be the same. Now it would be nice if we could document all different variations of commando valve covers and which years that they were offered.

Isn't the big bracket to carry one of the heater hoses? I've used these power pak covers on a variety of small blocks, but never anything stock.

Info sharing is good!

-
Back