Help ID Tracloc

-

Saetun

Sinister Swinger
Reaction score
I bought a clutch style lsd from a member on a different sight who said it was for a 8.75 back in March of this year. Went to install the ring gear and though it seems like it wants to fit, the ring gear bolts wont seat completely due to the shoulder above the threads. Something to me seems wrong. I've even ordered new bolts & same deal. I ran all the numbers I could find on the carrier with no luck & put it out to all you guys to see if you can help. I have a feeling I'm looking at a dana 30 or dana 35 misidentified as a 8.75. Would be nice to find out otherwise. Help please.

Numbers on carrier:
21745X
C30847
670B

21745X_zps89823440.jpg

C30847_zps65e76f9f.jpg

670B_zpsc43dd41d.jpg

What brand gears,what fasteners? Let's start there. Heating the gears/ cooling the diff I'm very seen

Sorry guys. the ring gear seems to want to fit, the ring gear bolts, however have a slight shoulder on them above the head. They will not seat completely into the carrier side due to the shoulder. I bought a new set of ring gear bolts, same shoulder, same dilemma. They drop right in & sit flush in the open carrier.

20131012_202557_zps5faf0233.jpg

20131012_202613_zps1bc13459.jpg

Is that just setting in the hole? Have you actually tried to run one in? If I recall when I did mine they were snug too.

Use some locktite when your ready to cinch it up.

Yes, just setting in the hole. Will they pull themselves in similar to a wheel stud? Sorry for the ignorance.

I would call ,ARP. I have a Trac-Loc in mine ,Jeff.. I can ask the guy,who set it up.

I could always grind the shoulder of the bolt down if I had to so it would seat.

I could always grind the shoulder of the bolt down if I had to so it would seat.

I don't think I would do that. I do believe they are an interference fit. I can't remember when I did mine. I do believe they went in tight.

They need to be snug, you don't want the ring gear walking in the slightest.

Try and tap one a little with a hammer and see if it seats. You said you have extras so you can always knock it back out and use another new one.

That looks like a power-lock.

Some of those powerlocks will take shoulder and others will not. I don't recall when the bolts changed. A better alternative might be to countersink the powerlock to accept the shouldered bolts.

I don't think I would do that. I do believe they are an interference fit. I can't remember when I did mine. I do believe they went in tight.

They need to be snug, you don't want the ring gear walking in the slightest.

Try and tap one a little with a hammer and see if it seats. You said you have extras so you can always knock it back out and use another new one.

Do NOT grind on the bolts. Decreases their strength, and you'll likely introduce stress points.

Some of those powerlocks will take shoulder and others will not. I don't recall when the bolts changed. A better alternative might be to countersink the powerlock to accept the shouldered bolts.

Any idea, Cracked, where i can pick up the non shouldered bolts? I'd like to do this right the 1st time.

that is what i thought also.

Cracked is spot-on. I have had a number of powerlocks over the years. 30-spline Dana 44, Dana 45, and Mopar 8 3/4 take the same internal parts (side gears, clutches, etc...). Dana 44 takes smaller diameter ring bolts than the 45 but it is the same pattern. (also has a larger ID on the ring than Dana 45) I would look for the correct diameter bolts or drill the carrier out. (great preference on getting the correct bolts).

If it is positively a 8.75 powerlock, it will most likely be either

The Richmond Powertrax unit

or

The Yukon PowrLok.

I'd guess the Powertrax unit seeing as you can find them anywhere. The Yukon unit is hard to find and its $120 more than the Powertrax unit.

Or it could be a Dana manufactured unit.

-
Back