Help identify 360

-

gtmopar

Phuckin A!
Reaction score
Picked up a 360 this week and I can't find its casting number anywhere. See if you guys could shine some light on me.

53006921•360

I know there's another block stamping on the pan rails right? Once I yank the pan off I'm sure ill be able to decode that one just haven't had the chance. Probably a late 70's block I'm guessing

The casting date should be on the side of the block. Most of the time this date will be a couple of months before the car was built. The 360 block I got from a junkyard had no numbers stamped on the pan rail of the pad just below the driver's side head. This might have been sold as a replacement block/engine.

not sure...looking

thinking it is a LA with roller cam block..

Yea I'm stumped. There are some punched numbers right below the heads but they make no sense. Ill post some pics later. It does look like it could possibly be a roller block. It's got a girdle in the lifter valley which I've never seen before. It's been a long time since I've had to rebuild my smallblock so I'm a little rusty and I've never rebuilt anything later than 70 LA motors. Thanks for input guys

The spider in the valley is to retain roller lifters.

Yep just pulled it and noticed. Do the factory roller blocks still have oiling issues? I've never built one. I assume its a good score I paid 450 from carb to pan for this motor. It was sopposeably rebuilt but it doesn't look like it. It looks resealed but not rebuilt. Thinking about stroking it. Any advice on these roller blocks?

Regrind the cam or put a new cam in it and run it.

Good engine to start with and pretty capable with good tuning

Thanks dude. So does it use standard LA heads? I would assume so because its not a magnum? Like I said the roller motors are new to me. Who would have the best cam and what engine would I order it for? The guy I bought it from said it had a purple cam in it. Guess I won't know till I pull it apart and inspect it

-
Back