Help identify Engine

-

Henchman

Reaction score
Hello Forum.
My neighbor gave me a 1972 dodge motorhome. It shows 23,000 miles on the odometer and I cannot imagine it having 123,000 from inspection of the parts that wear.
The engine says 1972 on the valve cover and also says it’s either a B,LB, RB or RBM.
I have not been able to get the casting numbers as it’s always been dark when I looked at it and the AC is in the way.
From my limited knowledge and recent interest in MOPAR vehicles, a 400 B is a big block engine with the distributor in the front of the engine. This engine appears to be more like the 318/360 design to my untrained eye.

I’m hoping to get some clarification on what exactly it is I’m looking at.

seeing it’s a class C motorhome, I would assume it’s a heavy duty version of what ever variation of engine it might be...

I was considering installing the engine in my 1964 valiant and rebuilding the slant 6 to completely stock so I can always restore the car to all original if I so desire.

will this engine fit with minimal modifications?

I own a manual machine shop/ fabrication shop so making adapters, brackets and mounts is not an issue.

thanks for any information in advance.

665D50DF-9AE8-434F-A1F8-85E22381AA33.jpeg

5A0D8763-64F4-4218-BB5E-9F4DD005A84B.jpeg

15EF7D07-3DE6-4F46-AAA5-F91769DD5264.jpeg

It's definitely a small block. Best I can tell is a 360 2-barrel. More engine options are on the left side of the decal photo.
Block will have casting numbers, engine size and casting date cast into the block just below the cylinder heads. The dash VIN should also be helpful, but I don't know where to find motor home applications.

Small blocks are a very tight fit in an early A-body. A big block would be much more difficult to install and work on and may involve some cutting. Don't forget to upgrade the brakes and suspension to handle the extra power if replacing the /6.

I think if you could see the rest of the emissions decal that rolls over the edge of the valve cover, you'd see the same info for the LA series of engines. Looks like a 360 to me with the size of the carb. Maybe a 318.

Definitely a small block. If nothing has been changed out over the years, the carb says it's a 360. Nothing any more heavy duty than a pass car 360.

Thanks for the info.
I’m going to be pulling it out soon.
Does anybody need a motorhome auto trans?
Clean van grill, doors, windshield, hood, ect? In the boise, ID area?

You will find out out when you can see the numbers. Questioning whether it is a '72, just above the timing info, it's referring to '73. It doesn't matter, just saying.
Can't argue the price, wouldn't you need the trans too? Should be a 727.

either LA or B/RB family of motors will fit, its the exhaust of the B and RB thats a bear in a narrow A (64-66). @RustyRatRod That 360 is gonna have rotators on the exhaust valve springs, not performance oriented. I got my 360/4 out of a 86 'Camper Special" truck and it was low mileage, perfect std bores and had the rotators.

That's if it is a truck engine, and it probably is. The valve spring retainers have a bearing to rotate the exhaust valve. My '78 Van had a stage 2 truck engine, a 2 barrel, regular gas. My filler neck was different than a no lead.

That's if it is a truck engine, and it probably is. The valve spring retainers have a bearing to rotate the exhaust valve. My '78 Van had a stage 2 truck engine, a 2 barrel, regular gas. My filler neck was different than a no lead.

What is a "stage 2 truck engine"? I've never heard of that before.

In '78, there were 4 stages of the 360 engine. That info sticker on the valve cover for timing etc. had 4 categories
Stage 1. 2 barrel no lead
Stage 2. 4 barrel no lead
Stage 3. 2 barrel leaded
Stage 4. 4 barrel leaded
I was incorrect on my engine, it was a Stage 3 2 barrel leaded.

Thanks for the info.
I’m going to be pulling it out soon.
Does anybody need a motorhome auto trans?
Clean van grill, doors, windshield, hood, ect? In the boise, ID area?
Yes ! I would like to see what there is I might need . I am in Boise .

You'll need a ton of parts to get that to fit in a '64-6 A-body. Start with all the brackets, exhaust manifolds, linkages, pulleys, etc off an early 273. Then you get to try and find an oil pan that won't hit the k-member, and get the proper pickup for that pan. You'll need to modify some 273 engine brackets to fit the 360 block, or find some aftermarket mounts. Cooling system, wiring, rear axle, brakes all need to changed or modified to make that 360 happy.

Anybody recall if a 727 will have clearance problems in an early A-body? You'll need a completely new driveshaft too.

Single or dual rear wheel? I have no idea but it might have 8 3/4” rear.

-
Back