help identify this transmission. Supposed to be A518

-

maca

Reaction score
Hey guys
I picked up this trans second hand down the road. It was advertised as a A518 with a lock up convertor. It has the 3 pin plug so if it is an A518 it must be a RH model. It looks just like my other A518 I have except it has a weighted converter and an offset converter bolt hole like the 360 LA converters.

I was always under the impression that these transmissions came out behind the 360 magnums which are weighted on the flexplate like mine and the converter is neutrally balanced. It has 064-3 as the casting number. Also noticed it has an electronic speed sender.

Can anyone please tell me if it is actually a 518? If it is I could cut the weight off the converter but how will I know if its a lock up or not. Is there anyway to tell by looking at it?
Maybe these came out weighted behind a different engine I am unaware of.
thanks Maca

The 518 was used for a few years before the magnum came out. It sounds like the one you have came from behind a TBI 360LA. I have read that some are not lock up, but I have never seen one. Yank the converter out and look at the input shaft too see if it is a lock up. If the shaft stops at the splines like an old 727 its not, if a machined snout extends past the splines and there is a hole in the center its a lock up. The non lock up trans would only need a 2 wire hook up. The balance on that converter is different than a magnum motor.

Thanks for the reply. Yes the snout is machined just like a lock up but I was wondering more about the converter. I remembered I had a lock up converter in the shed and pulled it out and had a look. The converters look the same inside with a small lip right at the end near the bottom looking in. One of my non lock up converters doesn't have the lip so hopefully its a lock up.
I should be able to just remove the weight and use it as I think the small weights seen in the pic is to neutrally balance it as there is one on each side.

It is a 518 RH. You can see the kickdown or throttle pressure lever that makes it a hydraulic unit. Three wire plug provides power for the lock-up converter solenoid and for the overdrive solenoid.

Do you know how to tell if the converter is a lock up and I would really love to find out the stall.
I cant see a brand so I guess I will just have to run it and see.
Hope its ok. The fluid and magnet was super clean

Do you know how to tell if the converter is a lock up and I would really love to find out the stall.
I cant see a brand so I guess I will just have to run it and see.
Hope its ok. The fluid and magnet was super clean[/QUOTE

The converter looks like a stock factory core. There should be three numbers inked on the body. This is the code of the converter
Example of numbers, something like 875 642

Get me those numbers and I can give you more information on the converter.

Thanks
The only numbers on it are stamped in.
They are 1785 and m642
Also thereis a AA stamped

It's nearly impossible to tell just by looking at the converter but the input shaft tells the story all by itself and it is as JAS0162 described. He is also correct on them being used on the late 360 LA's. I had a 1990 model that was a non lockup version but most are lockup units.

Here's a picture of a set of input shafts showing the difference. The top picture is a lockup input shaft. Bottom is non lockup

Attachments

• 904 input shafts.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 698
Thanks for the pic. I checked the shafts when I brought it but was just wondering how to tell if the converter is a lock up.
I might just have to run it. It should be fine to use on the magnum as long as I pull the big weight off.

I have another a518 in my other car but the place I brought the that trans from went out of business. They put a dayco 2800 stall but I have always wondered if it's a lock up too. I don't think it is but if I love it up snd it's not can I do any damage?

Believe it or not the hardest things to find with my last transmission what's the 3 pin plug that goes on to the trans. it's the plug on the Harness side. I have tried everywhere I can think of to get 1 and just can't seem to find one does anyone know where I can find one cheers

Thanks for the pic. I checked the shafts when I brought it but was just wondering how to tell if the converter is a lock up.
I might just have to run it. It should be fine to use on the magnum as long as I pull the big weight off.

Lockup and non-lockup converters won't interchange. Different spline counts. In other words if the trans is a lockup model you will not be able to get a non-lockup converter to slide in. It might go a little way in but not all the way.

Thanks
The only numbers on it are stamped in.
They are 1785 and m642
Also thereis a AA stamped

The code 642 is for a lockup, 11" diameter converter. For 360 engines. It is rated as a low stall converter, with a 91 gram weight on it. The stall speed (which can be debateable) is around 1600-1700 rpm. Watch out for the mounting bolts as they are offset.

If it has a notch in the top of the bellhousing on the passenger side then it is for a magnum engine. The notch is to clear the crank position sensor.

I have another a518 in my other car but the place I brought the that trans from went out of business. They put a dayco 2800 stall but I have always wondered if it's a lock up too. I don't think it is but if I love it up snd it's not can I do any damage?

Believe it or not the hardest things to find with my last transmission what's the 3 pin plug that goes on to the trans. it's the plug on the Harness side. I have tried everywhere I can think of to get 1 and just can't seem to find one does anyone know where I can find one cheers

This 2800 stall converter, are there any stamping or part numbers on it? I might be able to help you if you can supply any information on it.

You can get what is called a "dummy lock-up" converter. It retains everything about the lockup style converter except for the lockup piston inside it. The company I worked for did a fair number of them, for customers that wanted this style. I also believe that you had to do transmission modifications, but I might be in error on that.

Thanks guys! That's great info and much appreciated
I have tried the Transmission centre site years ago for a plug but it didn't fit. The 3 pins didn't align up. I gave them a call and they said dodge stopped making the plugs and their one doesn't fit properly but I can make do with it. I will call again and see what I have to do to get it to fit.

Thanks for the info Transman! I should be able to cut the 91g weight off and use it. I will either have to move one mounting foot or just elongate one hole in the flexplate. The stall should be ok as I cant seem to find it at the moment but I remember reading somewhere that a standard stall was ok for my cam. Here is my camshaft.
http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/cam-specs/Details.aspx?csid=661&sb=0

With the 2800 stall converter in my other trans I seem to remember when I ordered the trans that they asked me what stall I wanted. I told them 2800 and also said I didn't need it to be a lock up. They brought one from Dayco and sent it with the trans. I don't know if they pacifically ordered me a non lock up or if they just sent a lock up one as they are now out of business. I will try to find some pics to see if I can see any numbers on it as its still in the car. I do have a vibration/shudder that comes and goes almost like its timed to come in and out. Its does it in every gear except overdrive. Even park and neutral. I was wondering if it has something to do with running a lock up box and a non lock up converter. Maybe to run the a nonlock up converter I will need to change something in the valvebody. I can always try to lock it up while driving it. Just worried I may damage something. Found this pic of the converter but cant find one of the other side where the numbers will be stamped

Thanks guys! That's great info and much appreciated
I have tried the Transmission centre site years ago for a plug but it didn't fit. The 3 pins didn't align up. I gave them a call and they said dodge stopped making the plugs and their one doesn't fit properly but I can make do with it. I will call again and see what I have to do to get it to fit.

Thanks for the info Transman! I should be able to cut the 91g weight off and use it. I will either have to move one mounting foot or just elongate one hole in the flexplate. The stall should be ok as I cant seem to find it at the moment but I remember reading somewhere that a standard stall was ok for my cam. Here is my camshaft.
http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/cam-specs/Details.aspx?csid=661&sb=0

With the 2800 stall converter in my other trans I seem to remember when I ordered the trans that they asked me what stall I wanted. I told them 2800 and also said I didn't need it to be a lock up. They brought one from Dayco and sent it with the trans. I don't know if they pacifically ordered me a non lock up or if they just sent a lock up one as they are now out of business. I will try to find some pics to see if I can see any numbers on it as its still in the car. I do have a vibration/shudder that comes and goes almost like its timed to come in and out. Its does it in every gear except overdrive. Even park and neutral. I was wondering if it has something to do with running a lock up box and a non lock up converter. Maybe to run the a nonlock up converter I will need to change something in the valvebody. I can always try to lock it up while driving it. Just worried I may damage something. Found this pic of the converter but cant find one of the other side where the numbers will be stamped

So far no luck on the information shown in the photo. Would sure like to see a picture of the hub side. I'm no builder, so what if any modifications are needed using a dummy lockup converter in a lockup transmission. However, there are a couple of transmission builders on this board who should be able to help you with that. If not, let me know and I'll contact a builder I know and see what he says. I'm sure in a past life, I've had builders tell me there were things to modify. It might also be of help to you to check out the TRANSGO website and have a look at the instruction sheets for the A518 shift kits and see if there is anything they might mention.

Thanks for looking.
I will try to call some transmission shops to see if they know if it might be causing the vibration. My bell housing does have the crank angle sensor cut out so this trans is probably off a magnum.
On the pic in the very top of my post, you can see the little weight on the bottom side of the converter. It has 1 each side. Do you think they are just balance weights to give the converter a neutral balance. So when I cut the 92g weight off I should leave these alone?

Thanks for looking.
I will try to call some transmission shops to see if they know if it might be causing the vibration. My bell housing does have the crank angle sensor cut out so this trans is probably off a magnum.
On the pic in the very top of my post, you can see the little weight on the bottom side of the converter. It has 1 each side. Do you think they are just balance weights to give the converter a neutral balance. So when I cut the 92g weight off I should leave these alone?

Leave the small ones on.

Hey guys
What yoke do I use for the a518? Is it the same as the 727
Cheers

i was told the bw35 and 904 and 727 and a518 all use the same yoke. Is this right as i have a bw35 in the car now so i hope so as i can use it.

i was told the bw35 and 904 and 727 and a518 all use the same yoke. Is this right as i have a bw35 in the car now so i hope so as i can use it.

No mate, 727 is much larger than 904. A518 and 727 accept same size yoke. BW35 and 904 interchange.

-
Back