Help ID'ing shift linkage

-

65wgn440

Reaction score
Can anyone positively identify this pivot linkage ? Was told it fits '71 a-body, but not so sure. Thanks.
IMG_20170309_085721.jpg

Looks like my '69 Barracuda torque rod assembly?? Probably used from 67/68 thru 72/73, with 318/904.

treblig

It would take a heck of a lot of research to prove that part number never changed. My guess that you didn't ask for,,, 66 to 76 all. Other connecting linkages would have varied for 904,727, b-body, etc... I just can't imagine where there would have been a reason to change this one.

Well, I'm trying to use this on a '71 Valiant column to floor conversion, and the guy who sold it to me (who had different styles) said it was the one I needed. But is doesn't bolt up to the bracket I bought. After researching a little (a little late, of course) it seems to me that it may be for '66-70 b-body, judging by bracket shape. Bolt hole spacing is different between arm bracket and shifter bracket. You can see outline of old bracket on shifter mount.
1489171672743350056687.jpg

Here are some pics from classic industries I found. Brackets may be the only difference ? I can modify arm bracket if all else is the same. Just would like to know for sure what I have before I hack it up. Shifter bracket is supposedly for 67-72 a-body, according to seller.
131-ASL_large.jpeg
131-SL_large.jpeg

Yes, now that i looked specifically at the bracket I can see that it's different from the late 60s early 70s A body brackets as shown in these pics of what I currently have for sale:

[FOR SALE] - Complete A body Shifter Assy

But the rest of the assy looks the same??? I can measure the length of my torque shaft to verify that it is the same??

treblig

Right. Top pic I found is listed as 66-69 a-body and bottom is 66-70 b-body. Wondering why they only list top one as fitting up to '69 and not to '71-2 ?? If you could measure yours, that would be great ! I have basically 12-5/8" overall and 2" from underside of bottom lever to end of shaft.

Mine looks about 12 3/4" overall length for the torque shaft while the lower trans shift lever is at about 10" from the top of the shaft.

DSC07417.JPG
DSC07418.JPG
DSC07419.JPG

Treblig

Thank you. So the one in your measurement pics is from a '69 Barracuda, right ? It certainly seems like the one I need. But the '69 service manual pics seem to show the one I have ?? Wouldn't happen to be a pic from a '69 b-body manual, would it ?

Thank you. So the one in your measurement pics is from a '69 Barracuda, right ? It certainly seems like the one I need. But the '69 service manual pics seem to show the one I have ?? Wouldn't happen to be a pic from a '69 b-body manual, would it ?

Yes, you are correct...the pic out of my '69 Service Manual doesn't not show the correct bracket. But here is a pic of my all original '69 Barracuda shifter still installed in my car:

DSC02106.JPG
DSC02107.JPG

As you can see...it looks exactly like the pics I posted of the one I have for sale. I'm not sure what the one you have actually fits although it does look a lot like the one in the Service Manual??? The Service Manual that I own does cover Valiant, Barracuda, Belvedere, Road Runner, Satellite, GTX, Fury etc...so it may just be a generic pic of the shifter mechanism????

treblig

Yep. I just dug out a '69 Chrysler & Imperial manual and it has exact same diagram ! Thank you very much for all your help, and let me know if you ever want to sell that lever separately.

Can anyone positively identify this pivot linkage ? Was told it fits '71 a-body, but not so sure. Thanks.View attachment 1715026425

That is for a 67-69 B-Body and does not interchange with an A-Body. A 70 and up A body has a totally different vertical torque shaft and does not have a removable top lever. Another thing to remember is the factory service manuals where for a item placement reference only and many of the pics are not of the correct year or model as they are labeled in the pics.
BTW those remake linkage pieces are not listed correctly by year application either. They make one size fits all rather than making all the different ones that where used and then fail to mention that in their listings so if you buy some of those and mix them with some of your original pieces you have many times they won't fit or function correctly. Unfortunately this is true with many of the replacement parts being sold.

Last edited:
-
Back